new Mayor

"Dat cowboy saw me," Nanny Dove commented.

"I told you not to pop in like that," Matty scolded her.

"I 'eard me name and thot youse were callin' me. Ise stayed invisible as best Ise cud, but youse knows dat special peoples can see us spirits."

"Its not that big a deal," Bill joined in.

"So, he saw Nanny Dove. Whats the problem with that?"

"The problem is that too many fucking people are learning about our spirits."

Matty slumped on the couch.

"For years it was just the people of the Bay and we could control that, but now we have new people moving in here and ..."

Matty lit a cigarette.

"I just don't want that part of the Bay becoming general knowledge. Can you fucking imagine the influx of people we would have, if that got out?"

"I'll talk to Jackson," Bill suggested.

"I will find out just what he saw and we will take it from there."

Matty was shaking her head.

"I don't like it Bill. The Bay has never had this many outsiders before. I mean we have RVs lined up down the the fab plant, with all the outsiders we have here working. 

I will be just happy when we go back to normal."

"Don't tink dat will bes 'appenin'," Nanny Dove commented.

"Tings are changin' Matty and dere ain't a whole lot youse can do 'bout it. Not ifin youse wants to save da Bay."

"I wanted to save the Bay, but I didn't think it would come at this cost."

"Then we stop it," Bill suggested.

"We shut everything down and do the best we can to keep the Bay as it is. Stop building the new motel. Stop ..."

Matty cut Bill off, shaking her head.

"We can't do that. We are in too deep. If we do that, the Bay dies."

"I don't see it that way. All it will mean is that we stop outsiders from coming to the Bay. Sure, it will mean that some of the men will have to go and look for outside jobs, but I am sure they will have no effort finding work."

Bill lit a cigarette.

"I don't know where the Bay will end up, once the money is gone, but I am sure we will find a way to survive."

Matty shook her head.

"No. We can't. You know the difference to that. We have made a commitment."

"Ise will chat wit da other spirits," Nanny Dove suggested.

"Ise will makes dem understand dat dey 'as to stay out of da public when dere bes strangers around."