the weakest link

Frank stood up and walked to the stairs, where Bill had stood a few minutes earlier. He looked out over the ocean, as he smoked his cigar.

"You okay Frank?"

"It really is beautiful here," Frank answered, without turning. 

He looked up, as he heard seagulls squawking overhead.

"I'd be careful, if I were you, Frank. That is right in line with Jarge and Mable's landing path and they have been know to drop a few bombs along the way."

Frank turned to Bill, smiling.

"Mable?"

"Bill laughed.

"Jarge has a girlfriend."

Frank looked up and saw the lighthouse replica on top or Bill's new house extension. As he did, the two seagulls flew down, landed on the roof and hassled into the lighthouse.

"Unbelievable."

Bill knew what Frank had just seen.

"We still let them in the house but they spend most of their time up there. Its actually pretty comfortable. Those two are so spoiled."

Frank walked back to Bill and refilled his drink.

"See. that is what I love about this place. It is so laid back. So simple."

"Laid back, yes. 

Simple?

Don't know if I would agree with that."

Frank sat on the bench, attached to the veranda.

"I told my wife Julie all about this place and showed her the pictures I took last time I was here. She loved what she saw. So much so that she actually came along with me on this trip. She wanted to see this place first hand."

Bill nodded.

"Well you picked a great time, Frank. Autumn, here on the west coast, is beautiful, as I am sure you have seen."

"Yea. The drive up the peninsula was spectacular and when Julie saw the sunrise this morning from just outside the village, she was speechless.

And believe me, for Julie, that is a rarity."

Bill thought about Matty, Nanny Dove and the other women of the Bay.

"Yea, I know all about talkative women.

The women here in the Bay are not your typical women. They are as tough as the men and in many cases, even tougher. And they have no issues speaking their minds."

Frank laughed.

"Then Julie would fit right in here."

He sat forward, resting his elbows on his knees..

"And that is where the favour comes in."