spirits of the day

Nina was sitting in bed, reading, when Nick appeared in the doorway.

"There you are."

Nick walked over and gave her a quick kiss.

"I am going to take a quick shower."

"How did it go?"

Nick headed for the bathroom.

"We'll talk when I'm done."

It was about fifteen minutes later when Nick came back in the bedroom, wearing sleep pants. He sat on the edge of the bed next to his wife.

"So the young boy is okay?"

Nick nodded.

"He will be fine. He got a pretty nasty cut on his hand, but I managed to get it cleaned up. Fifteen stitches."

Nina cringed.

"Wow."

"Yea wow."

Nick looked lost in his thoughts.

"You okay?"

Nick nodded.

"Yea. Kinda."

He looked at Nina.

"Do you realize that the nearest doctor is almost an hour away? And that in the winter, they can be almost isolated here."

Nina put down her book.

"I was talking to Matty about the same thing. She was in tears. She told me that people have died here because they could not get them to help in time."

Nick got up from the bed and went to the small refrigerator. He opened it.

"Want a drink?"

He laughed.

"They even have scotch here."

"I'll sip on a beer."

Nick pored a scotch for himself and passed Nina a beer. Once again he sat on the edge of the bed.

"I have never seen anything like I saw tonight. There had to be a dozen people there, with trucks, waiting to drive Lionel to Deer Lake."

He chuckled, as he sipped his scotch.

"And there was this one monster truck there."

"Freddy Simpson."

"Yea. I mean there were dozens of phone calls from people all over the Bay. The cellphones never stopped."

He looked at his wife.

"And when I was driving back with Bill, people were stopping us, so they could thank me and shake my hand. They want to throw me a party at the Pub tomorrow to thank me."