the document proposal

Cameron stared at Bill and Matty.

"So. What was this? Some kind of bullshit initiation or something."

Bill lit a cigarette.

"No. This was just our way or relieving boredom on a Friday afternoon."

"Shouldn't these people be working."

"They only work until noon on Friday," Bill informed him, leaning forward.

"See, these men actually work. Something I can only assume that you don't do."

"I beg your pardon."

"Cut the bullshit Cameron," Matty suggested.

"You think we didn't do our checking on you? That's why we let the boys here have some fun with you. It gave us time to make some inquiries."

Cameron fiddled with his cellphone.

"Inquiries?"

"We know you were fired from your last job. I talked to Ben Humphries and he was very happy to tell me that you were let go basically because you were a lazy shit, who was more interested in being a lawyer in name, and using that to attract women, but not actually doing any real work.

You had three simple cases, he informed me and somehow, you actually managed to fuck them up."

Matty laughed, as she sipped her beer.

Cameron looked toward the bar, as Jarge and Mabel seemed to laugh at him.

Laughter erupted through the Pub.

"Dem two birds bes smarter den youse," Billy Rideout called out.

"Maybe dey shud become lawyers. Obviously it bes easy."

Again the two gulls laughed, flapping their wings, as they did so.

Matty turned around.

"Jarge. Mabel. Come here loves."

The two gulls jumped down from the stool and waddled across the floor toward the table.

"Jest a second," Lindsay yelled, as she approached the table with a roll of paper towels. She put the paper towel on the seat of the chair and petted the two gulls.

"No shittin' on the chair."

The two gulls nodded and jumped up on the chair, settling in side by side. Both stared at Cameron.

"Seriously?"

"You got a problem with our pets?" Bill wondered.

Matty petted the two gulls.

"From what Ben told me, you couldn't get a job anywhere in St. John's and the last he heard of you, you moved to Edmonton and set up a small practise in some strip mall in the town of Devon, just south of Edmonton.