turn the table

Frank walked back to the table and sat. He filled both drinks.

Bill stared at him. 

"What shit is this?"

Frank drew on his cigar and started to explain.

"What you are looking at are emails between Calvin Parsons and Simon Hirst. Seems that Calvin is rather interested in the sample that Hirst has. The emails eventually end with Calvin striking a bargain with Hirst for 10% share in the goldmine."

Bill put the papers back on the table.

"As long as he can get Hirst the mining rights."

"By whatever means he can. He can't be involved in this, obviously, so he is using Hirst as his puppet. To do all the dirty work."

Bill sat back in his chair and thought for a moment.

"I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but in the 50s, there were a couple prospectors who came here to the Bay. Apparently they did find some gold."

Frank looked confused.

"But these readings and core samples are from 1961."

Bill nodded.

"Yea. Seems that somehow, someone managed to sneak back in the Bay and get those core samples."

"But how could they do that. They would have had to bring in equipment."

"Its isolated up there and I am sure there was a portable drill of some sort, even back then."

Bill stood and walked to the living room patio doors.

"What I don't understand is why Hirst and his investors are willing to drop millions of dollars."

Frank laughed.

"It is gold, Bill."

"I know, but the core samples showed only traces of gold. That doesn't mean that there is a significant find here."

"I guess they are willing to take the chance."

Bill turned and walked back to the table.

"I don't believe that. There is something else we are missing. I believe Hirst is in possession of something that shows something different than just gold traces."

He sat down.

"If Tuckamore Bay closes, the mineral rights revert back to the provincial government."

"But a claim can be approved by the government, for exploration."

Bill laughed.

"And that would go through the Environment Minister."

Frank nodded.

"But. They have a tight schedule."