treasure

The next morning the four men met again, at Bill and Matty's house, for early morning Irish coffees. Unfortunately for Bill, who was trying to keep the treasure find under wraps, each man brought their spouses.

Bill chuckled to himself, but said aloud, "I guess there really are no secrets here in the Bay."

The women and the men all told Bill that no one else was aware of the find, but, as always in the Bay, their cellphones were alive with messages.

"Turn the cellphones off," Bill told them all. 

"I will get spirits to watch over the house and lighthouse while we are cleaning up this shit."

Bill got the blue Rubbermaid container of gems and jewelry and brought it into the house. He informed the women how to clean up the precious gems, at which point they all stared at him and Bill was ordered to go to Tucker's and get soft toothbrushes, baking soda, lemon detergent, beer and wine.

Bill did as he was told and upon returning, he told the men to set up the folding tables in the lighthouse and turn on the heaters. The men then went to Tucker's and bought new, clean Rubbermaid containers, 5 gallon bottles of distilled water, paper towels and microfibre cloths.

The new containers were filled with distilled water and as each coin was first wiped to get rid of as much dirt and grime as possible, they were then placed, one level only, in the distilled water for several minutes. The were then patted dry with the paper towels and rubbed gently with the microfibre cloths.

The coins were then placed one level at a time, in small rectangular plastic containers. Each level had white tissue paper between them.

While the men worked on the gold coins, in the lighthouse, Matty and the women sat around the dining room table, cleaning the jewelry and gems. They used much the same methods as the men, but soaked the jewels in warm water with lemon dish soap, before cleaning gently with soft bristled tooth brushes. baking soda was used to get off more stubborn grit and grime.

As the men filled each rectangular plastic container, it was brought to the house. Each container held 200 gold coins and weighed about 380 ounces.

At one point during the day, Bill, Carl and Wike got on their snowmobiles and drove back to the cave.

Paddy Webster, Jackson Lamont and Issac Dove had stayed at the cave to make sure that no one entered the cave.

The three men went inside, with hand garden tools and dug through the ground to retrieve any coins or jewels that might have been missed. To be more comfortable, they brough Coleman lanterns and small propane heaters.

The three men retrieved another 200 plus coins and a handful of gems and jewels. Once they finished, Bill took the old bones of two of the pirates that had been killed by Paddy Webster. He asked Paddy their names, but Paddy swore that he could not remember them. Bill wondered why their spirits were not there, but got no definitive answer from the other spirits.

"Sometimes," Issac tried to explain, "the spirits are just too weak to remain or they have no desire to remain. Sometimes they are not smart enough to even realize they have the option."

Bill informed Paddy that he was going to keep the bones in the lighthouse, until spring and then he would bury them in the cemetery, with a small headstone.