documents 201, 202, 203

Bill dropped the papers on the coffee table and started walking toward the door.

"Where are you going?" Matty wondered.

"Jamaica. To buy a condo."

Matty jumped up and ran to Bill, gently grabbing his arm.

"What has Jamaica got that Tuckamore Bay doesn't have?"

Bill turned and stared at Matty.

"Sanity, for one."

Matty started laughing and pulled Bill away from the door.

"Sit. I will get us another beer."

"Getting me drunk is not going to make me sign those papers."

"Just give me some time to explain. Please," Matty almost begged.

Bill looked at the pretty redhead. 

"There is not enough beer in the world to make this more understandable, you know."

"Just give me a little more of your time. If I can't make sense of this, then go to Jamaica."

Bill walked to the couch and sat down.

"Why not. I haven't any better offers.

Matty hurried to the kitchen and reappeared with another beer for each of them.

"Here."

"So. let me get this straight. If I sign those papers, I actually but the entire village?"

Matty nodded.

"More or less."

Bill sat back on the couch, slightly exasperated.

"Okay, I need a better explanation than that."

"Let me try to explain."

Bill sat back.

"Yea, that might actually help. And it might stop me from pulling out my phone and booking a one way ticket from Deer Lake to Jamaica."

Matty laughed.

"Like that will ever happen."

"You don't think I will do it?"

Matty shook her head.

"Bill there are no direct flights to anywhere from Deer Lake, so sit back, sip your beer and let me try to put all this in perspective."

Matty stood up, beer in hand and started pacing, as she spoke.

"This little village has hit upon hard times, since the fisheries closed. The village was only allowed to catch so many fish each season, but in most cases, the catches were so bad that it barely  warranted even finishing the season. So as the years went by the few that did fish did not even process them here, but instead sold them to the fish plant in St. Anthony. They used to show up once a week with an ice trawler and take the meter catches.