the wreck of the Emily Rose

"Unfortunately, Matilda, it was not one of my finer moments," Issac agreed.

"Should we ask what happened next?" Matty inquired.

"Well, as you would say, things got really fucked up from there.

My family and the other families were confined below deck, except for some of the women who were ..."

It were as though tears were filling Issacs eyes.

"Well, let us just say that some of the womenfolk were taken into the clutches of an evil that none of us were ever exposed to.

We did attempt to overpower the sailors at one point and we did managed to capture several and even get as far as the Captain's cabin, but there we were met with resistance and several of the men were injured and poor Calvin Dove was shot and killed."

"That is terrible," Matty shrieked

"And it only got worst, young Matty.

Webster was going to make us all jump overboard and fend for ourselves, in the cold waters of the ocean. Surely most of us, if not all, would have perished if such an act had occurred.

It was my wife, Lydia that saved us. She informed Webster that we had gold and silver and that we would trade it all for a safe passage to a small bay along the coast."

"But if Webster knew there was gold and silver, why wouldn't he just take it and throw you all overboard anyway?" Bill asked.

"Indeed, William. That was the same thing I pondered for many years after. The only conclusion I could come to was that Webster and the others were so intoxicated that their thinking was impaired.

At that time we we headed northward, along the west coast of the New Found Land. We passed several adequate locations, but Webster would not allow us to leave the ship. Finally, one sunny morning, we were awaken and told to come to the deck.

Once on deck we were informed that we were about to disembark.

Webster laughed, as he pointed to a very small inlet that was several hundred feet from the Emily Rose. High cliffs surrounded most of the inlet and the beach looked to be mostly rock.

I immediately demanded that a more suitable location be found."

Nanny Dove laughed.

"Youse never learned, did you Poppy. Bit dense in da 'ead Ise tinks."