a perfect day

It should have been a perfect day.

Bill and Matty woke up early, grabbed a quick shower and a coffee for the road and drove to Corner Brook.

It was a beautiful November day, slightly unseasonable temperatures and not a cloud in the sky. 

The drive to Corner Brook was spectacular, as Bill and Matty talked about their wedding and their future plans, while travelling through some of the most beautiful scenery on the island of Newfoundland.

In Steady Brook, they decided to stop and enjoy a breakfast in the ski lodge, with a panoramic view of Marble Mountain ski hill, which was covered by a slight skiff of snow. 

Bill and Matty toasted the day with a mimosa and then ate a full breakfast of eggs, bacon, ham, hash browns, toast and juice, with a splash of champagne.

By ten o'clock, they were at City Hall, applying for their marriage license, which they would be able to pick up the following week, well in advance of their planned, secret wedding, the following weekend.

The elderly clerk, Betty, congratulated them on their upcoming nuptials and wished them the very best in the future. When she realized they were from Tuckamore Bay, she questioned them further and upon finding out who they really were; the two people that had saved Tuckamore Bay, she insisted on a selfie with both of them and proceeded to introduce the two to everyone that was at work at City Hall.

What followed was a pleasant, though slightly irritating, hour of handshakes and pics. But Bill and Matty had been through so much in the last few months, that this was like water off a duck's back and they smiled their way, graciously, through it.

"My jaw and cheeks hurt," Bill joked, as he opened and closed his mouth, trying to put that part of his face back in place.

"It was fun," Matty added, as she opened the passenger side of Bill's truck.

"Now I know what a celebrity feels like."

Bill started the truck.

"So, off to Alteen's Jewelery?"

Matty took a deep breath.

"I'm getting more excited by the minute."

Ten minutes later they were in the private viewing room, looking at wedding bands. Though Bill and Matty both knew they would never find what they wanted, Matty had a pic to show him.

Bob Alteen commented on the uniqueness of the wedding bands, but he assured that he could have the rings crafted within a month.