July 5, 2020

It was now July 5, 2020. It was a gloomy, dark, rainy Sunday afternoon.

Bill sat on the small stage of the community center, with the other members of the village council. In front of them were every single resident of Tuckamore Bay. At least, every single living resident.

Bill had been in the Bay for just over a month and despite nearly leaving a few times, he finally felt that he was settled. Having found out that he was indeed a direct descendent of Silas Williams, who was one of the founders of Tuckamore Bay, he had a new determination to say the Bay.

Eighteen months from now, the government was planning to shut down the village and move all of the residents from the Bay to larger centres. Of course, since they could not do it in winter, the government was hoping to move the residents before the snows came, as the cost of keeping the road open was expensive at the best of times. That fact, realistically, gave the residents just over a year to come up with a solution.

Only a select few knew that Bill had finally, legally, signed the documents that legally gave him title to Tuckamore Bay. And that was the reason for the village meeting. To make the residents aware of the situation and to discuss plans for the future.

Bill had done a lot of soul searching, especially in the last two weeks. The thought of a condo in Jamaica still appealed to him, but he had grown very fond of Tuckamore Bay and its residents. One, in particular, Bill had grown extremely fond of and she was the biggest catalyst in his decision to do what he was about to do today.

Bill looked at Matty, sitting next to him and let out a long sigh.

"You ready for this?" She asked.

Bill shook his head, laughing.

"I don't know, but I guess we have come this far."

He looked at Henry Tucker.

"Okay, Mayor, let's get this thing going."

Henry Tucker smacked his gavel on the desk in front of him.

"Can youse all pipes down fer a minute."

He smacked it a couple more times, standing as he did.

"Will everyone please be pipin' down."

The people slowly quietened down.

"Dats be better."

"'enry, whats bes so important dat youse 'ad to drags us all out 'ere in dis shitty weather?"

Henry looked at the man in the front row.

"Norm, ifin youse keeps yer mouth shut fer a few minutes, Ise be tellin'' youse."

He looked out over the crowd.

"Now, alls of youse please be keepin' yer comments to yerself for a while and lets us up 'ere be talkin'"

Clayton Rideout laughed.

"Den stop yer yammerin' and start talkin'."

"Ise plans to do dat, Clayt, me son, ifin youse stop interupptin' me."

Henry took a mouthful of beer and looked at me.