Nanny Dove shit-disturber

It was about eight at night, that Matty phoned from St. Johns. Bill could hear in her voice that she had been crying.

"Didn't go as well as expected?"

Matty took a deep breath.

"No. I couldn't get the ground fish allotment and that was what we really needed if there was any chance of getting the plant open again."

"Did they offer anything?"

"They gave us ten tons of lobster, five tons of crab and a suggestion that we should start a mussel farm.

And, oh yes, he offered us the recreational fishery."

"What is that?" 

Matty took another deep breath.

"It allows each boat to catch up to fifteen ground fish a day. Thats like cod and such. Most communities use it for attracting tourists. They do tours and such and have the tourists catch the fish.

The lobster and crab allotment is really nothing. Maybe enough for one boat to make a living, but no where close to what we would need to start the plant again."

There was silence for a moment and then Bill heard Matty yell. "Fuck."

"I'm sure you did the best you could, Matty."

Matty seemed to ignore Bill.

"Hefford said he really didn't want to even give us the cod and lobster allotment,  since we are slated for relocation. I think he did it as a favour because he had the hots for me.

He kept me at that restaurant until almost three and then he wanted to take me out for supper. I agreed to have a couple drinks with him, in the hopes that I could get him to change his mind, but it was a no go.

Son of a bitch."

"So you are back at the hotel?"

"I'm sorry Bill. There just wasn't enough time for me to get the last flight out, so I have one booked for nine tomorrow morning. I should be home around two or so in the afternoon."

"Oh. Okay."

"Hey are you really okay."

"Yea. You know me. Always a little unsure."

"But you said you trusted me."

"I do, hun. This is all me and my stupid insecurities."

"Well you have no worries. If I see that Hefford again, I just might cut his nuts off."

"Don't do that."

"I was just joking, Bill. I haven't cut anyone's nuts off in years."

"Did you give him an answer?"

"Not yet. I told him I had to talk it over with the representatives of the Bay and I would get back to him by the end of the week."