vacation

Matty finally cried herself to sleep.

Bill had to barricade Jarge in the bathroom, because Matty walked around for over an hour with a huge butcher knife in her hand, calling Jarge's name.

She was determined to get her ring back.

Bill finally calmed her down and assured her that eventually Jarge would shit out the ring.

Instead of reassuring her, it actually made her cry louder.

Bill blamed himself for the whole incident. He really should have known better. 

Though Bill forgot it at times, Jarge was a seagull and all seagulls were attracted to shiny things and the 2 karat blue diamond engagement ring was really shiny.

Bill was kicking himself. All too late, he realized that he should have locked Jarge in the bathroom, before proposing to Matty.

Well, if nothing else, it would make one strange story to tell people.

Bill stayed up all night, constantly checking the toilet. For hours nothing happened. At one point, a very tired Bill even considered feeding Jarge a laxative, but he wasn't sure what dose would be safe. Matty had threatened earlier to feed Jarge a full bottle of laxatives. Bill had to hide them away.

Finally a little after 6 am, it happened.

Bill heard a very large squawk from the bathroom. As soon as he opened the door, Jarge waddled past him and went to his bed.

Bill gave a quick check to be sure that the poor bird was not bleeding. Once he was assured that Jarge just had a sore ass, he went back to the bathroom.

Bill took the ring from the toilet and immediately put it in a warm solution of water and dish detergent, just as the internet had suggested that he do.

He let it soak for twenty minutes, then gently cleaned it with a soft toothbrush. He then repeated the process three more times before he was confident that there would be no more seagull shit on the ring. He even went as far as to inspect the ring under a magnifying glass to be sure the ring was just that, all ring / no shit.

Bill snuck quietly into the bedroom. Picking up Matty's left hand, he tried to slip the ring on her finger without waking her up.

"There better not be any seagull shit on my ring."

Matty opened her eyes and looked at the ring.

"It is absolutely beautiful."

She looked at Bill, tears filling her eyes. At that moment she loved him more than anything in the world.

"You look like shit."

"I love you too," Bill chuckled, as he sat on the bed.

"Have you been up all night?"

Bill nodded.

"Get up," Matty said gently.

She pulled up the covers. She was dressed only in her bra and panties.