the talk

Bill closed the laptop and leaned back in his chair. His back was aching from sitting at his desk for nearly four hours, as he typed up a rough draft of an agreement, he hoped, would convince the residents of Tuckamore Bay to agree to allow Bill to make his village an actual business.

Bill looked over at Jarge, who was asleep in his bed.

"Some company you are."

Even Nanny Dove had left. She informed Bill that he was no fun, when he was being serious and she was bored. She preferred it so much more when she could banter back and forth with Bill and give him a bit of a hard time. She certainly could be a shit disturber when she wanted to be.

Bill looked at the clock on the wall. 10 p.m. He felt that he should go to bed, as he was sure that Matty would not call again, for the third straight night, but he was not tired.

He considered watching some T.V., but he had spent so much time recently, staring at a computer screen, that he decided against it.

Finally, he decided on a nice scotch, a cigar and a few minutes of quiet time, before going to bed. He wanted to be rested for the next day, as he hoped that Matty might come home. She had been gone over two weeks and he was missing her, although he had doubts that she was feeling the same.

If nothing else, he would get in touch with Frank and let him know of the plan he had been working on.

Bill took a bottle of 12 year old Dalmore and a pack of White Owl cigars and sat on the couch. He had just poured a glass when a knock came to the front door.

"I hope Nanny Dove hasn't learned to knock," he laughed, as he walked to the door.

He opened the door and stood in silence. It wasn't Nanny Dove.

"Matty?"

Matty smiled at Bill and gave him a quick kiss on the lips, before walking briskly past him and sat on the couch.

"We have to talk, Bill."

She picked up the bottle of Dalmore and poured a drink.

Bill slowly closed the door. He had a sinking feeling in his stomach.

As he turned, he was about to ask, 'would you like a drink?'

Matty had already drank Bill's drink and was pouring another.

"I guess that answers that question," Bill sighed to himself.

"Get a glass, Bill and come sit with me."

Bill nodded and walked to the bar, getting a crystal scotch glass. He didn't like the tone in Matty's voice, but it didn't really come as any surprise. She had been meeting all sorts of new and interesting people while negotiating the various contracts and agreements and she had been having dinners and lunches and ...

well Matty was a beautiful woman. 

Almost 5' 8" tall, with long legs and a beautifully proportioned slender body. Huge green eyes and long red hair. There were times she looked more like a model, than a lawyer.

Bill thought about his own appearance.

He had always looked at himself as a non descriptive, boy next door. He was tall, about 6' 2", with buzzed hair and a neatly trimmed beard. He thought the beard, goatee combo would make him have a little sex appeal. Nothing really changed. He always looked at himself as Jon Cryer's character, Duckie, in the Molly Ringwald movie Sixteen Candles. Always someone's best friend, but not much more.