5%

Gail Hirst walked into Dove's Pub and ordered a glass of Merlot. Valerie poured the wine and put it on a coaster in front of the woman.

 Valerie poured the wine and put it on a coaster in front of the woman

"How is youse feeling today, Gail?"

"Its still all a bit surreal, Val. I can't believe Daddy is gone."

She sipped her wine.

"You know, it doesn't matter what he did. I know Daddy did bad things in his life, but I can't believe that he would do what he did to Simon."

Gail had been in Newfoundland for over a week, most of it spent in Tuckamore Bay

Gail had been in Newfoundland for over a week, most of it spent in Tuckamore Bay. Over the course of her conversations with the RCMP and with people of the Bay, she was able to piece together the story of the last few months of her father's life.

"He still bes your Daddy," Valerie reminded her.

"I know and he will always have a place in my heart and I will always love him. But I will never forgive him for what he did to me, to poor Simon, wherever he may be and to you and the others here in the Bay.

His fixation with this gold legend, I believe, drove him over the deep end."

"Well, 'e bes at rest now."

Gail smiled, as she sipped her wine again.

"Well, I don't believe he will ever be at rest now."

Jackson Lamont's body was burned beyond recognition and only dental records were able to make the positive I.D.

It had always been his wish to be buried on his ranch in Alberta, but once the whole story came to light, Gail decided that he deserved to be buried in Tuckamore Bay.

With the blessing of the Bay, Jackson's remains were buried at the far end of the cemetery, with only a small, simple headstone marking his final resting place. The funeral had been the day before and in true Bay fashion, the entire village turned out, not for Jackson Lamont, but for his daughter.