Episode 66

HakYeon

I looked towards Choi Jooeun after the CEO has announced the entire board, I can't believe that he said that in front of so many people. And I am not even aware of it, he didn't even tell me about it and there was nothing between me and Choi Jooeun that led him to make this kind of announcement that we are going to get engaged and get married to each other.

There is nothing between me and Choi Jooeun, she has always treated me as a friend and she will for the rest of her life. We have recently become friends again after such a long time and now things are going to be so awkward between the two of us because of this sudden announcement that I wasn't aware of.

I don't know what Mr Choi is trying to do with this announcement but I know it is not for something good, there is no way that he would suddenly want his daughter to get married to someone who isn't rich or someone who can impress everyone easily with their credentials. I am just someone who barely graduated from university with a degree that I worked my ass off and now I have a lot of student debt that I am required to pay off to have some money to get married, Mr Choi doesn't like someone like that and he likes people who have the money to do things easily and could provide his daughter with a lavish lifestyle.

Everyone around me was whispering about how I am not good as a son-in-law for the CEO and the CEO is crazy for choosing someone like me to marry his one and only daughter, I also think that way and I wished that the CEO wasn't saying this for real. Choi Jooeun and I are not comfortable with how this news was revealed and everyone is going to know about our engagement as soon as the meeting is over and my life is never going to be the same again.

"Mr Choi, are you going to marry Jooeun off to me?" I asked the CEO as soon as the meeting is over and Choi Jooeun and I were told to report to his office right away, he looked pleased with his decision but I can't say otherwise for the both of us. "You are not joking right?" I asked him.

"I wouldn't joke about such a thing, a CEO can't spread rumours about things that didn't happen at all and I saw how the two of you interacted with each other. It is as if you two were a couple and I kind of liked you a lot and I decided that you would be the best choice to marry my daughter." He said to me and then turned towards his daughter. "Aren't you happy that you are going to get married?"

She didn't say anything to him but she gave a dead stare, it was clear that she didn't want this to happen as well and I am sure that she is still thinking about Han Sanghyuk but little did she know that Han Sanghyuk is never going to come back ever again. He left for Taiwan 5 years ago and there is no reason why he would come back here, he didn't actually like Jooeun and he is just making use of her.

"If the two of you don't have objections, I will take it as you two agree to the engagement and the engagement party would happen in a week." He said and the meeting was over, he can't be serious about me marrying his daughter, he would be so embarrassed having a poor bloke as a son-in-law and everyone would laugh at him for making such a bad decision in choosing a son-in-law and he could have chosen someone better.

Choi Jooeun immediately stomped out of the room and I was about to chase after her when the CEO told me to stay behind, I needed to comfort Jooeun as soon as possible but the CEO is demanding me to stay. I will go to Jooeun once he is done talking to me, it is not like it is going to take a long time.

"Cha HakYeon, about the thing that I asked you to do, have you found out about it?" He still doesn't forget whatever he told me 2 months ago when Choi Jooeun went overseas for a few days and didn't tell anyone about it, I had asked Jooeun about it and she told me that she went for a short trip to take a break from work and there was nothing suspicious from that trip.

"She told me that she went over to Taiwan for a few days and she came back without any problems, she went with Seungmin who took good care of her as usual," I told him and he immediately slammed the document that he was holding onto.

"Taiwan, you say? Have you asked why she decided to go all the way there for?" I shook my head, it is just a country that is near South Korea and it is a beautiful country, it is reasonable to go over to that country to go on a holiday for a few days. "She must have gone to look for Han Sanghyuk, I should have located him in a faraway country instead."

My mouth dropped open, I can't believe that Choi Jooeun was lying to me for 2 months straight where she was going there to search for Sanghyuk. "We have to come up with a better way to make her get over him once and for all, marrying her off quickly is not the issue here. She has to hate Han Sanghyuk for the rest of her life and she will never want to love him again, you would have to help me in this." The CEO begged him and I suddenly had a wicked idea in my mind that would work perfectly.