Episode 21

[PART OF THE CHAPTER IS A FLASHBACK OF CHAPTER 6, SANGHYUK'S POV]

Sanghyuk

I sat in class, not focusing on what the teacher is talking about and instead on my own thoughts, the thoughts that have been troubling me for a while. I have never thought that it would be a concern until recently. It is my friend, my only friend that I have met in high school, I had some weird thoughts about her. Choi JooEun, she came into my life a little over a month ago, being the only deaf-mute student in my class and being very different from the other students.

I disliked her at first because she is so different from me, that she look more positive and vibrant that my flawed self and I should start mistreating ger like I have done to all the other students in this class and as well half of the school. Everyone hated me for being mean to them and JooEun, at one point hated me as well.

I loved teasing people for their differences but to a certain extent, I have never hit them nor abuse them that they would run away as soon as they see me. Im HaJoon was the one who broke the rules by bringing people to ridicule her outside of school and in her neighbourhood, they were going to physically abuse her and put a video online to show their status.

I almost snapped the chair that I was sitting into the half when I first heard the news, one of his people were talking about it to another accomplice. They were going to do it that afternoon and they are now only waiting for her to get out of school grounds, they wanted to ruin her life as much as possible.

But I couldn't do much as I am in detention and the people that are in detention are not allowed to leave the room until the time is up, it would only cause me to have another detention session if I sneaked out of detention and plus there is Cha HakYeon sunbaenim, the one student who is so proper with everything. He will definitely go tell the teacher in charge of discipline and I will be in trouble.

I heard footsteps coming towards the direction of this room and plopped my head down on the desk and pretended that I was asleep, Cha HakYeon is doing his homework like what a model student would do. She walks in with an innocent facial expression and stops in front of HakYeon sunbaenim. While I was pretending to be asleep, one eye was open halfway so that I know when she leaves and knows where she is in. "JooEun ssi, why are you here?"

There Choi JooEun is conversing with him via a notebook, she writes down what she wants to speak and passes it to him which he reads what she has written down. Is this how they communicate with each other?

"It's nothing, I was just there at the right moment. That guy deserved everything, he got left off too many times already." My hand clenches into a fist as I remembered the reason I got into a scuffle with this guy.

"I'm sorry, maybe next time... I have to work straight after this." I unknowingly smiled at his comment. Don't get so close to her...

He nodded his head. "You better go home too, it's getting late." He told her. She turns to take a glance at me, I immediately closed both eyes. I waited for her to get out of the room and then I got up, sitting up straight feeling relieved that she is gone now...

I looked at the time, there are 5 minutes before the end of detention and I would be able to do whatever my heart tells me to. HakYeon sunbaenim gets up from his seat and he is packing up his stuff as if he is going to leave this instant. "Are you leaving now?" I asked him and he nodded. "There is still 5 minutes left."

"It is only a 5-minute difference." He turns around to face me and slung his bag over his left shoulder. "Enjoy your time here." He walks out of the room and I did the same after a few minutes.

I followed his footsteps as I felt that his actions were suspicious enough for me to follow him and I did, following him through the streets and shops. I kept a safe distance from him though, to avoid him finding out that I was stalking him. We then arrived at a small neighbourhood where the residents are fairly wealthy and there are no shops around the area. I thought that he said that he was working?

And then I heard a female scream that ended my suspicion of Cha HakYeon, he heard everything that I heard from the guys. He was trying to save Choi JooEun from Im HaJoon and gang. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I looked up, her face a little too close to me. I yelled and got my face away from her as much as possible. "What are you trying to do?" I exclaimed, my face turning red instantly.

That's the weird thought of Choi JooEun that I was talking about. She mouthed "Lunch." and showed me a pink coloured lunchbox. "Oh... We are eating in the garden today?" I asked not knowing why she had packed lunch when we always go to the cafeteria to have our lunch.

She showed me an annoyed face and took out her phone, immediately typing out her thoughts and then passing it to me. "Didn't you forget? We planned on having packed lunch today. Don't tell me that you didn't bring it?" I read it out loud and she was glaring at me.

"Ah yes... I forgot about it." I admitted my faults and I showed her a cheeky smile.

'You're really forgetful... Just eat half with us, I told my mom to pack me more food.' I returned her phone back to her. "Sorry..." I told her and she shook her head.

We then got out of the class with me supporting her with my weight that she doesn't trip or fall again while she moves forward with the crutches. Is it crazy that I think of her more than a best friend? That I have a crush on her.