Episode 51

HakYeon

I sat down at my desk, typing out a report that I needed to submit by the end of today to the CEO, he only told me about it an hour ago and he sent it by email. He is lucky that I don't have anything scheduled for this evening, as if I have anyone to see at home.

I moved out of the place where I shared with my cousins after I have graduated and I have decided that I would rent out an apartment with all the money that I have saved up from all of my part-time jobs, my aunt encouraged me to continue staying with her family but I told her that I shouldn't be imposing on her and her family any longer, it is for the best and I am determined to not let her down.

I rented a decent apartment in one of the neighbourhoods near the company and I have been living there for some time, it is nice living alone and it is lonely not having anyone greet you when you get home and I will have to settle my own meals and do all of the household chores on my own. But I chose this life and I shall stick with it, it is not like I have a second choice that I can take.

"Team Manager Cha, do you want any coffee?" My newest intern asked me, it is nearing lunch and all the employees are preparing to go for their break.

"No, thank you," I told him. "Just finish up what you have to do and prepare the documents for the meeting, later on, I have just sent you the email and print according to what it is stated."

"Got it." He walks off and quickly made his way back to me. "Good luck with whatever you are going to do today."

As if I am going to gain anything from it... For the past 5 years of my life, I have been living like a zombie, following people's orders blindly and not even questioning the reason why they are telling me to do this. It all started when Mr Choi, the CEO of this company approached me when I was walking home one day and I thought that I was getting mugged because of the huge amount of people surrounding me and not letting me escape, Mr Choi was there and he told me to do something for him and I will not be able to live my life like this.

It was all for his daughter, Choi Jooeun and whatever I am going to do for him will make Jooeun happy again, including getting rid of Han Sanghyuk in her life and not making them meet each other ever again. I never really liked that guy ever since the first time I met him, I never believed that he could change his personality just for Choi Jooeun, I have always thought that he had an ulterior motive in doing all of that.

He made Jooeun cry over and over again and this is not what a friend should do to another friend, he is still treating her badly and I don't get why Jooeun is still so insistent in being his friend. Jooeun might have fallen for him and I don't want her to fall for someone like him, he is a good-for-nothing and Jooeun will suffer if she continues to like him. He will only make use of her if she is with him and her life is doomed forever, and I don't want that to happen.

I heard the familiar footsteps walking past the office and I stared at her walking past without looking into my office, it is Jooeun and she is here for the meeting later this afternoon. I wanted to see her for longer but I need to do my work, and plus if I do really see her, all she does best is to run away from me as soon as she sees me.

She has been like that since she found out that her father has chased Han Sanghyuk out of her life 5 years ago, I held her back as what I was told to and that made her dislike me for the rest of her life, she didn't talk to me or even look at me in the eye. We were close friends prior to that day and everything had changed completely, we are like enemies right now and I don't know how to change it.

Yang DongMi was also approached by Jooeun's father to control Jooeun's every movement but she didn't hate her at all, in fact, that they became even closer to each other from that day on. Jooeun even attended Yang DongMi's latest musical and they took a lot of photos together and I don't have the chance to do any of that. It is not fair at all, not at all.

I let out a deep sigh and I diverted my focus back to my laptop where I should finish up my report as fast as possible before the meeting starts, I will not be able to do any work during the meeting as we are expected to listen to each and every person who is giving the presentation. I heard a knock on the door of my office and I muttered a 'come in', I didn't know who exactly it was but I know that it is an important thing where someone comes in specifically to see you.

"Team Manager Cha, I see that you are being very busy right now but I need to tell you something important." I looked up from my laptop and it was the deputy CEO Choi JooHwan and he is also known as Jooeun's older half-brother. "Do you want to have lunch together?"

So that was the important thing that he was talking about... I would want to tell him that I don't want to go for lunch and continue with my work but I couldn't say no, because he is the CEO's eldest son and the person who is going to be my boss after the current CEO retires and leaves the company to him. "What is on your menu, Deputy CEO Choi?"