Hiding

Child!L and Child!Reader

It was December 1988, and Wammys House was seeing its first snowfall of the year.

It was also a blizzard, so the children were stuck inside with nothing to do, until a 13-year-old girl got the idea of playing hide and seek.

At that point it wasn't too hectic, since there was only 45 kids hanging out there today, so the adults didn't see anything wrong with the game, as long as the kids that were playing stayed out of the dorms.

The school building and main house was just fine, though.

You and L were best friends at Wammys, and you decided to hide together. The one thing nobody took into account was the fact that you two were both quite intelligent for six-year olds.

The girl who chose the game was the first to be 'it', and she stood in the corner of the living room with her eyes closed to count to twenty.

You giggled as L grabbed your hand. He was the best at finding hiding places in your opinion, and soon the two of you made it to the library.

He led you to a hard to reach section in the back of the room and you both sat down to wait.

You were surprised that no one else chose to hide here. You didn't mind though, because it meant you had your best friend to yourself.

You listened as various people walked passed the large room, but nobody else entered.

Soon, it became quiet as the older kids who were busy with their school work or working on cases, left the building.

Time passed slowly, and after the first 30 minutes of waiting, you and L decided to read a book together. You found a Sherlock Holmes book, and you sat next to L as you took turns reading.

You were halfway through the book when you heard a light snore come from beside you.

You turned to see L leaning on the bookcase, asleep.

You smiled, yawning. You laid the book down beside you and curled up next to the dark-haired boy, and joined him in dreamland.

Unbeknownst to the sleeping six-year-olds the game went on until it was almost dinner time, and by then, the adults thought they had all the kids rounded up.

Until Roger did a head count and discovered that you two were still hiding somewhere.

The younger children were sent to dinner, and to be watched over by the mess hall workers while Roger, Watari and the two oldest orphans, both aged 17, split up to look for you.
It took about four and a half hours, and several meet ups to eventually find you.

It was Watari who found your hiding place, in an unused section of the library in the school building, curled up in each other's arms. Your head on L's shoulder as you both leaned against a bookshelf.

There was an opened Sherlock Holmes book near you both from where you had been reading it as you waited for someone to find you.

It was then that Watari decided that you two were made for each other and that you would eventually become a couple.

He couldn't be happier for the little boy he thought of as his son.