By Chance or By Design

(Your pov)

It's been a year since the world ended. I have been travelling the continent looking for any sign that I wasn't alone.

It all began 18 months ago when Kira made a worldwide announcement stating that he was now the God of the new world, and that he and his chosen people were going to kill off all those they did not find worthy of a place in their kingdom.

They started off killing criminals, and there were quite a few people in my neighborhood who were pleased by this. Then, when the criminals were all gone, other people started dying off. Elderly people who were no longer capable of working or had already retired than it seemed that anyone who wasn't working full time were being eliminated. By the sixth month after the announcement, my neighborhood was completely deserted.

I'm wasn't very surprised with the lack of activity in my small neighborhood, but a short drive to one of the largest cities in the area showed no signs of life either. Taking some time to wander an empty supercenter I thought of what I should do.

The usual means of survival, i.e. getting food at a grocery store was mostly out. Sure, I could survive on the non-perishables for a while, but the dairy products and proteins won't last long without proper refrigeration, and without people working at stores to get rid of rotten food, these places won't sustain me for very long.

That means I need to find new ways to feed myself. Hunting and foraging. I walked over to the outdoor gear, grabbing a tent, sleeping bag, pillow, matches for fires, and hunting supplies.

Over at the shoe department I selected a few pairs of sturdy boots and sneakers, and a couple of pairs of winter boots. Sturdy jeans, shirts, hoodies and coat and such items were added to my supplies.

As I have travelled, I've had to change my plans. My original hunting plans, using a small gun I could carry as I travel for food, didn't work out for me. I wasn't very good at removing the shrapnel, so I began using an old style hunting bow, now glad for the archery lessons in gym class.

I've also taken to only keeping a couple pairs of outfits at a time, using the second outfit when I needed to clean the first. I've also taken to wearing a bikini for bathing, just in case I ever run into another survivor, not that I've seen anyone yet.

After several months, I'd finally made it to the ocean, on the other side of the country. A simple harpoon became my next weapon of choice as I traveled to the next country I could reach.

That country was Japan. Where Kira lives. I knew this was probably be the worst possible place I could be.

Making things as easy as possible for travel, I got rid of everything I had on me, except the bow and arrows I kept from my former home.

I waited until nightfall, just in case Kira and his minions were still alive, I raided another store. Choosing to wear a darker outfit, to blend into the darkness, I grabbed a long, hooded cloak and a face mask to hide my identity should I be caught.

It's day three in Japan, and I rushed as the predawn sky began to lighten.

I found a rather tall building that appeared to be in great shape all things considering, and I hesitantly open the door.

I still haven't run into any people, but I wasn't taking my chances in the land of Kira.

The door opened easily, and I was greeted by what had once been a highly sophisticated and most likely expensive security system.

The lack of power has rendered it useless, which meant it was fairly easy to enter the building.

Keeping on guard, I made my way through the tall building trying to decide what I should do.

Should I search the building for supplies? Where should I sleep? A higher level with a betterview of possible danger? Or a lower level with easy escape routes should I be found by Kira or one of his supporters?

In the end I chose the higher ground, hoping for more time to plan in case my new hideout is found by Kira and his sycophants.

Making my way up, I find that most of the doors are locked. However, I did find some doors unlocked, including one at the very top which looked like a large monitor room.

Sitting in the corner farthest from the door was what appeared to be a man hunched over with his back towards me. I stood still, my breathing shallow.

Was this a living person? Or one who had died recently? Is Kira even still alive to kill?

"Are you a Kira Worshipper or a survivor?" I jumped and cowered away from the stranger.

"A-a survivor. Are you going to k-kill me or not?" I asked, deciding that a quick death would be preferable if this was Kira.

"I'm not Kira or one of his followers. I had believed that I was the only person left in Japan." He answered. I relaxed slightly.

"You might've been. I arrived here recently from (home country)." I replied. "You are the first person I have seen in well over a year, at least. I have no idea what today is, so I don't know how long it's been for certain."

He turned to face me, and I noticed the dark bags under his dark grey eyes. The man wore a white shirt and a pair of jeans.

He commented that I had traveled very far to reach Japan. He explained that he was the last member of a group people fighting against Kira and his supporters. He had been alone for nearly ten months.

He had been clever enough to have gathered enough supplies to last him and his colleagues when the killing spree first began to escalate. However, that was two years ago, and now it's time for him to resupply.

I offered my assistance, explaining how I've become a capable hunter. He reluctantly agreed, stating that while he didn't care much for meat and vegetables, he wasn't going to say no to any sort of food. His preferred food group of sugary sweet desserts were no longer possible due to lack of power and people to produce the necessary ingredients.

He suggested that we leave in the morning, and he led me to one of the empty rooms.

(Time skip)

It's been a few weeks since I met the strange man, whom I've learned is named Ryuzaki.

As we got comfortable with each other, we began sharing a bit of our histories.

He explained that he had been a detective working on the Kira Case. The team had learned that Kira had the ability to kill people by writing their name in a magical notebook while looking at their face.

The original Kira found a worshipper whom had a similar notebook, as well as the ability to see names above people's heads. The two Kiras gave up the notebooks temporarily and lost their memories in the process.

A new Kira showed up in a company who would kill important people from rival companies as well as criminals. He was killed by the original Kira who continued on with his goal.

It appears that the original two Kiras died early on in the crisis though, having been gunned down by members of the taskforce.

It was already too late, though. Kira had already shared his powerful notebook to several of his worshipers who were the ones to kill off the majority of the population.

I, in turn, told him of what life was like in my small town both before Kira appeared, and in those early days when the murderer was focusing on criminals.

I had told him that I had been a rather reclusive person, preferring to not become part of the small-town gossip.

It doesn't mean that I didn't hear things during my rare trips out of my house.

He stated that it was interesting to hear about how normal people viewed the Kira Case.

I had told him about the whispers of how the legendary L had decided to work on the case. It was mostly hearsay, though. One of those 'my friend told me that they heard from their friend who heard from their father' sort of thing.

People in my small town had begun speculating on pretty much every aspect of the case. Who was Kira? How did Kira kill? Who was Kira going to kill? Who would win the war between L and Kira?

"There was speculation on Kira being a group of people, like the FBI or some sort of secret society that had decided to come out from the shadows. Some people in my town though it was a group of rogue officers around the world who were poisoning prison food or something."