Impossible love

Why must life be so cruel as to separate me from my true love? Why must I be stuck in a world where I must watch him be ridiculed and distrusted, and eventually die in the arms of his smirking enemy?

I sat in my bedroom, staring intently at the tv as I watched him. The only person I could ever care about. The only person who could understand me.

The show is Death Note, and the man in question is none other than the genius detective L Lawliet.

His loneliness on the show was just like my own in real life. The pain I imagine him hiding identical to mine.

I once had friends who thought different cartoon characters were cute, and they would think they loved them.

The difference between those girls and me is that their 'love' for those characters would change. One week the obsession would be this guy from this show, then the next it would be for someone else on another.

That was never the case with me. My friends had been the one to introduce me to Death Note, almost four years ago, and I was enthralled by the mystery surrounding L, and fell in love with him. That love has never diminished, even when my friends left me behind as they found new favorite shows to gush over.

My family thought I was weird and said that I was too obsessed with the show.

To me, Death Note isn't a show. It's a glimpse into another world where you watch people go about their lives.

"You need to face reality (First Name), and forget about this fantasy of yours." My mother would say all the time.

I tried to tell her that just because I believe something she doesn't, doesn't mean that my way of thinking is stupid.

She would say that I needed help and tried to forbid me from watching the show for two and a half years.

Even now, I have my headphones plugged to my tv at two in the morning, watching L get closer to Light Yagami, the man that with the man that will kill him.

I hated that L was never given a love interest. I hated that people always wanted to ship him with Kira. All I wanted was to show the sleep deprived detective that he was loved.

I wish I could have been born into the Death Note universe, so I could hold him at night, help him relax, give him sweets, and most importantly, save him from Kira by helping him capture Light.

If given the opportunity, I would save L from his fate and teach him about love and happiness. He deserves nothing less than all the love I have for him.

As the episode ended and I laid down, My final thoughts were on everything I would say to L and everything I would do to help him survive the Kira Case.

I never thought that I would actually get the chance to save him.

(L's pov)

I was deep in thought as I listened to the men muttering to themselves as we worked.

I never truly felt like I was a part of this investigation, and it's not simply due to the distrust these men have for me, or the fact that they don't believe that Light Yagami is Kira.

It's because I knew something they didn't, something that has changed my view of the world.

We don't really exist.

I don't remember how I realized this, but during the early days of the Kira Investigation I figured it out.

All of our lives are scripted for the entertainment of people in another world. Everything about this case is planned out.

At first I thought that the work I was doing was important, that catching Kira would make a difference. Then came the deaths of the FBI agents.

I had wondered how that happened, since each agent was working on different families, and none of them had the identity of any of the others.

I suspected that Raye Penber had been the agent that ran into Kira, and that suspicion had been confirmed by Naomi Misora's disappearance.

My thoughts turned to the people who watched this show. Who are they? Whose side are they on?

I hardly noticed the men leave for the night, as I continued my musings, but I did notice the strange glow enveloping the couch.

It was a young woman, wearing (favorite color sleepwear); her (length/color) hair surrounding her head like a halo. She was asleep, and I wondered where she came from.

Could this girl be from that world I often wonder about? How did she end up here? Would she be safe from Kira if she was unable to return to wherever she originated?

My thoughts were silenced by the light groan from the young woman.

(Your pov)

I shifted slightly beneath my blanket, noticing that I'm no longer in my comfortable bed. Now I feel as though I'm laying on a couch. A plush couch, but a couch, nonetheless.

I opened my eyes to a somewhat dark room that did not belong in my house. I surveyed my surroundings, and thought that the room looked remarkably like the hotel room in death note where the men watched Misa's second tape, the night Ukita died.

"So.......You're awake." I heard from a voice I was not expecting to ever hear without the tv on. I turned to the couch where the sleep deprived detective was crouching.

"Good evening, Ryuzaki. I'm (First Name) and I apologize for dropping in unannounced." I told him in English, since I don't know Japanese.

"You know who I am. Does this mean you're from that other world that created this one?" He asked, surprising me.

"If you're asking whether or not I'm from another dimension where this world is a fictional world then yes, I am."

"So, you know that Light Yagami is Kira?" I nod. "You you also know how he kills?" Another nod. "You also know how this case ends for me?"

"I know how it's supposed to end for you, but since I'm here, I want to help you solve the case before that happens."

"Before my death you mean?" He asks in a manner normally used for discussing the weather.

"Yours and Watari's, yes."

"Watari will die as well?"

"If the case follows the original timeline, then yes. By the way Ryuzaki, what is the date?"

"April 17th. Why?"

I tell him about the Death Notes, Shinigami, and how tomorrow would bring in a Second Kira. I warned him of Ukita's death, but explain that his death is necessary in order for the men to believe that there is a second Kira.

"So what do we do?"

"We let things run their course for now."

I spend the rest of the night talking to L, and making plans to save him. Mostly about how my life was in my world, and to tell him things he didn't know about things that have already happened, like how Light was able to kill Raye Penber and The other agents.

The last thought I have as the detective sends me to another room before the men show up for work is that maybe I could finally be happy again.