The Test

It was now or never.

I had just picked Misa up from her photo shoot. We were alone in the car, and there were no cameras and wiretaps.

"Misa, we need to talk." I told her as I drove. She turned to me with confused look.

"About what?"

"You relationship with Light."

"What about it (Alias)?"

"You know you're my best friend right? I'm only saying this because I really care about you. I'm worried about you." I explain.

"I know (Alias). You're my best friend too."

"I don't think Light is a good guy for you. I really don't like the way he treats you." I told her bluntly. She flinched slightly.

"W-what do you mean?"

"Does he pay you any attention at all? Does he ever compliment you? Thank you for doing things for him? Does he even say good morning? Or tell you that he loves you?" I asked.

"He's just busy with the case. Catching Kira is important you know."

"I know it is Misa. But Ryuzaki still does those things for me. Every day. We even take time to ourselves each week for couple time."

"Ryuzaki? Mr. No Emotion?"

"Yep. We've been together for years. He wakes me up with a kiss and a good morning every day. He makes sure I eat every day, regardless of how focused on work I am. Granted it's usually sugary, but it's still thoughtful. We even take time for ourselves to be a couple. Sometimes it's a date, sometimes it's just cuddles and movies." I explain.

"Really?"She asked, sounding shocked.

"Yeah. Just watch him sometime. When he has to walk past me, he always gives my hand a light touch."

"I know Light loves me. He just wants to catch Kira, so Ryuzaki will leave him alone."

"Do you really believe that? Or are you just telling yourself?"

"...He loves me."

I can tell she is starting to question her relationship with him.

"I'm not trying to upset you Misa. We're the only girls at Headquarters. We have to stick together. And girl, he is not treating you right. You deserve so much better."

"How can I know for sure that he loves me (Alias)?"

"We need to go shopping Misa." I told her, as quickly explained the plan to her.

(later that day)

Misa and I made our way up to the monitor room. I was wearing a dark blue V neck and just barely showed off my chest.

L was the only one in the monitor room at the time.

I carried a slice of cake for my boyfriend as Misa sat down in Light's seat. She was pretending to fix her makeup using her compact mirror. She was actually watching my plan unfold.

I greeted my boyfriend with a smile. I leaned forward in an exaggerated way, showing off my chest to L as I sat the plate down. I brushed his hair out of the way and pressed a gentle kiss to his temple. I made sure to keep my front in his line of sight.

Misa was shocked by his reddened cheeks as L couldn't help but stare. He was obviously flustered as he shifted his position.

I told my boyfriend that I had some paperwork to catch up on and gave Misa a wink after I stood back up.

A few hours later Misa came back to the monitor room, wearing the new dress. It was a red and black corset dress with black angel wings on the back. It showed her off perfectly.

She sat next to me in the back of the room. We chatted about random stuff as I worked until L stood up. Misa watched him as he grazed my hand with his as he walked by.

Misa stood up and walked over to Light as I watched. She was saying something to him, but I couldn't hear it. I did see her smile fade as he failed to react. She even leaned forward the exact same way I did to L earlier.

I could see the aggravated look on his face as he spoke in a low tone. I couldn't hear him, but the hurt look on her face told me just how cruel he was being. There were tears in her eyes as she walked off.

L came in just a minute later with a confused look. He took the chair Misa had been sitting in.

"What's up with Misa?" He asked, sounding a bit concerned. Despite the fact that her obsession with Light annoys him, he does like her as a friend.

"Light." I reply. His eyes darken angrily. L hates Light, and hearing that he upset a woman angered him. I quietly explained my conversation with her on the way home. Which led to the cake incident earlier.

"I was showing her how a guy is supposed to react if he's actually interested. She tried it out just now. I have no idea what she said to him or what his reply was. I just know it wasn't anything good."

"Light is such a bastard." L stated bluntly. I smiled as my boyfriend then went on a tangent of how Light is 100% Kira.

"I'll go check on her." I told him after his rant was over. L nodded and went back over to his desk to get back to work.

I took the elevator up to her floor and knocked on her door.

"Misa? It's me, can I come in?"

I heard her light shuffle and then the door was unlocked. I opened it to see Misa lying face down in her couch. Her small body shaking in silent sobs.

I walked over and sat down on the floor in front of her.

I just rubbed her back and gave her silent comfort, knowing that words wouldn't help until she was ready to talk.

After a few more minutes of sobbing, Misa sits up and turns toward me.

"You were right. He doesn't care about me..."

I didn't know what to say to that. Then her expression changed from upset, to determined.

"I have something I need to do." She states, getting up and walking to her bedroom. She stops just before she opens the door, turning her eyes towards me.

"If I write something, will you give it to Ryuzaki?"

"What is it?" I asked, confused. She gives me a smirk.

"Something that will end this case and save Ryuzaki." I agree and watch as she grabs a dark purple notebook. She begins writing, looking more and more angry. By the time she is finished, she's written three pages worth.

I glance at the papers she hands me, and she urges me to read what she wrote.

My eyebrows rise as I read everything she wrote. Finally, I finish and turned surprised eyes at the model.

"All I can say is I am sorry." Misa replies sadly.

(Time skip)

It's been two years since the Kira case ended, all thanks to Misa.

Misa had proven the statement about a scorned woman. She had written a complete statement about Light being Kira.

She began her statement about how she had used the Shinigami eyes to find Light. She explained what the eyes were and how they worked. She explained why and how she made the videos. She found out where Light lived and made contact.

She had felt grateful to Kira for killing the man who killed her parents.

When she saw it was Light, she had been willing to do whatever it takes to make him fall in love with her. Even if it meant being used by him.

She wrote about how he had talked about him being seen with other women and her threat.

Then there was the promise her shinigami gave. A promise to kill L if anything happened to Misa. The shinigami didn't like him, but would do it if it makes her happy.

She continued with the conversation during her confinement which led to Misa giving up her Death Note and memories. She wrote about meeting her Shinigami during the interview. Apparently the Shinigami even told Misa about Light's plan to regain his memories.

Light had hidden the notebook somewhere, and he would probably tell her where to find it.

I handed L the confession and we asked if Misa was willing to pretend to still be on her side long enough to retrieve his notebook. She agreed, and when Light killed Higuchi we 'freed' Misa. Light told Misa exactly where to go to find the notebook.

That night, after Light went to bed; I met up with Misa to retrieve the book.

The next day we revealed everything, painting Misa as a spy for our side.

Light was arrested, and Misa only ended up with counseling so she wouldn't be used by a man again.

After her mandatory counseling, Misa became a singer. She wrote songs about losing family members and about being freed from an abusive relationship.

Her music has apparently helped a lot of young women in similar situations. She has even used her fame to promote trauma counseling and held fundraisers for women's shelter all over the world.

I was so proud of my friend. She has really turned things around. I even exchange emails with her. She knows about what is happening with us, and I know how her new relationship is going. She met a guy that is a model like her. He treats her a lot better than Light ever had.

L and I returned to England, and we got married. We bought a cozy house just down the road from Wammys.

The boys have taken to visiting us nearly every day. Even more frequently in the last month or so.

I smiled and looked around the room I was sitting in, taking in the people I was surrounded by. Matt and Mello were playing video games on the TV.

Near was sitting on the floor, several puzzles on the floor in front of him. Apparently solving one puzzle at a time wasn't enough for him today.

As for L? He was sitting beside me, hand on my large stomach.

Yep, I am pregnant, and L is so excited.

I am just days away from giving birth to our daughter and couldn't be happier.

Just a couple of years ago, this moment felt like an impossible dream.

But here I am, surrounded by my family. A family that was about to grow.

I leaned forward and gave my husband a light kiss.

The future was certainly bright.