Separation

It's been almost a year since my world came crashing down.

Two years ago, a mysterious murderer began killing off criminals with heart attacks.

My boyfriend L went off to Japan to apprehend the killer, called Kira. He left me at the orphanage we both grew up in, citing that it was too dangerous.

"You mean the world to me (First Name). I love you more than I thought I could ever love someone. I don't want to lose you."

"Please be careful, L. I don't want to lose you either. I love you more than life itself."

With promises to write, and for a swift return, he left me teary eyed in his mostly vacant room.

I wrote frequently, telling him about how his successors were doing, and reminding him of life at home.

He'd reply with coded messages of how the case was going. Some were of his frustration at the taskforce. Apparently, his prime suspect was the son of the Chief.

I wrote back with words of encouragement, while explaining how difficult it would be for a parent to discover that their child is a criminal. Especially when the parent is an enforcer of the law.

In April I had received a particularly upsetting letter I knew was a breakdown letter. A second Kira had shown up out of nowhere, using the a news station to pass on a message to the original.

In an attempt to stop the message from being aired, one of the officers in the case drove to the tv station and had been killed by the second Kira, despite all the safety measures taken.

The taskforce was small as it was, so losing another officer was a severe blow to the investigation. Not to mention to my boyfriend of five years, who repeatedly criticized himself for deaths that happen during a case he's taken on.

I found the broadcast in question being covered by other media sources.

I conveyed words of comfort, love and advice. I was the one to advise him to look at females as a potential second Kira. I explained the new Kira had been attempting to gain the attention of the first, much like how a girl may dress up nicely or put on make up to make a guy notice her.

I had informed him that if the second Kira had been male, he would have likely issued a challenge to figure out who was the better Kira. Either in a battle to reach a higher kill count, or perhaps more creative kill battle. The latter would make the case even harder, due to the difficulty to distinguish between Kira kills, and ordinary deaths.

The subsequent letter took a little while, but it thanked me for the assistance and revealed that I was correct. The second Kira was a young model. He also sent me a copy of the magazine she was in.

He also hinted at his frustrations and depression. Shortly after he detained the girl, she and the original Kira, appeared to have lost all memories relating to their kills, and a new Kira had taken over.

It was obvious he was feeling lost and homesick. Normally, I would be there with him, to give him a break from the case. To give him a day of pampering and relaxation. So, instead of a letter, I called Watari.

He had sent the rest of the taskforce home for the day, and had sent L to another suite, taking over the task of watching all three detainees, the police chief among them, of his own accord.

When L entered the room, to see the computer monitor revealing my smiling face, my boyfriend broke down. I had explained to him that I had Watari set up a private skype.

We talked for hours, for the first time in months. I was able to give the man I love, a much needed break, as well as the reminder of my love he needed.

After that, we continued sending coded letters to each other, until mid-October, when things was finally picking up again. L had come up with a way to arrest the new Kira, and he believed the case would soon be over.

I had been so excited after that. My beautiful L would solve the case, apprehend the criminals, and come home.

None of that happened, because in November, Roger had called me, and his top two successors into his office.

I was devastated at the news of L's death. I barely noticed anyone else in the room as the words echoed in my head.

I had been startled out of my pain when Mello slammed his hand into Roger's desk before he stormed out in anger. I swiftly followed the teen out, rushing to my room where I had locked myself in.

For the first three months, Near was my sole companion. He knocked on my bedroom door three times a day to bring meals up to me, and to make sure I was alright.

February was the first time I spoke. I gave Near a faint smile, and quietly thanked him for looking out for me. Two weeks later I gave the boy a hug, my first bit of human contact.

In March, I stepped out of my room for the first time since that day. Matt discovered me later that day having fallen asleep crying in front of L's bedroom, which had been left untouched.

It took me three more months before I'd briefly venture out again, only for food, and to let Near and Matt know I was here.

The sympathetic looks and whispers were too much for me to handle, and I'd hastily retreat to my room once again.

It's July now, and I need out of here. I left a note under Nears door, letting him know I've gone for a walk in town, in need to escape the memories haunting me at the orphanage.

Now, I'm wandering the familiar streets on England, but it still hurts.

Everywhere I look, I see memories of my beloved L. The tennis court where we won our first tennis tournaments. The bakery we used to frequent. The park with the swing sets we used to play at. The computer store we bought our first computers from.

Turning around, I decided to just head back to the orphanage. I made my way through the streets, before turning onto the private rural road leading to Wammy's.

I stopped as I overheard a painfully familiar voice. My head jerked up, and I stared.

I thought he was dead, but there he is, right in front of me on the street, smiling at me.

His raven hair was unmistakable. The short sleeve shirt he exclusively wore during the rare stifling days. Today was such a day.

He uttered my name once again, and I had to remind myself to breathe as I slowly stepped forward.

"L?" I questioned, so softly, tears in my eyes. His smile widened as he held his arms open.

That was all I needed, and with a cry, I lunged forward. I grasped the man I believed I'd lost tightly to myself. I cried into his familiar scented shirt as i felt his arms wrap just as tightly around me.

We stood there in each others arms, crying for several minutes before we finally calmed down. After that we just held each other, unwilling to let the other go.

After fully calming down, I pulled away to see my boyfriends face, just as puffy eyed as I imagine I look. Gently stroking his cheek, I took in the face of the man I love, before pulling his face to mine and giving him a passionate kiss, which he easily returned.

After we had stopped for breath, he took my hand and led me back to the orphanage. It took us a while to navigate the halls up to his bedroom, since all the children demanded his attention, but we finally made it up to the floor where only L and I reside.

L had explained everything that had happened since the letters stopped. He told me of the elaborate plan to catch the Yotsuba Kira, which ended in the man's death and the return of the first Kira's memories.

He explained the weapon had been a notebook that belonged to a Shinigami, and the rules of its use within it's pages. He included two rules at the end, which he learned were fake. They were included by Kira to remove suspicion from himself and his accomplice.

He continued on with freeing the model to locate the other notebook, and how her Shinigami had written his and Watari's name.

Just when he thought he was dead, he woke up again, in an empty room of the building he had made for the investigation.

Being touched by a piece of paper allowed him to see the other shinigami, named Ryuk who simply explained that he had dropped the notebook because he was bored, and that he had been finding the war between him and Kira entertaining.

The Shinigami explained he had given the notebook and a special eraser to one of the investigators with instructions to erase his name, which allowed L to live.

The officer promised to keep his name a secret, as well as the fact that he was alive.

When L asked Ryuk why he saved him, the Shinigami simply explained that he didn't want the entertainment to end yet.

From there on, the officer that erased L's name kept L up to date of the events of the case while L worked on getting the evidence gathered to ensure the arrests of both his suspects.

This was when Near began acting as L, and when the officer told L of the unknown detective, my boyfriend got into contact with his successor.

Near told L how I was doing, which led him to work even harder to return to me.

It was three weeks ago that he was able to hand off the evidence to the officer, and it took the man another week to convince the others to examine the evidence.

The rest of the group had ultimately admitted that L was right the whole time.

We had been sitting on the bed, L sitting normally for once so he could be closer to me, as he recounted his story.

He stood up and walked over to his desk.

"I've been waiting for so long to do this. I had it all planned out, but Kira got in the way." He began, as he pulled something out of his desk drawer. He turned around, holding the item behind his back.

"I will admit I had been afraid. More so than I ever thought I could be. I knew the case was very dangerous, which is why I left you here, where you would be safe. When Kira regained his memories, I feared that I would be unable to return to you. Unable to make the dreams we had for the future a reality. Now that I am here, and Kira can no longer ruin things for us, I find myself incapable of holding back. (First Name) will you make me the happiest man alive? Will you allow me to hold you, and love you, and cherish you for the rest of our lives? Will you marry me?" He asked, as he kneeled in front of me holding a ring box out, showing me the beautiful ring that was inside.

I had tears in my eyes and the biggest smile on my face as I nodded, not able to speak. He grinned, and stood up, pulling me closer to him. With a loving kiss to the lips, he placed the ring on my finger.

I knew I would never let anything happen to my fiancee. Nothing will stop us from living the bright future that we have in front of us.

We will always be together.