Stay

(L's pov)

"Will you stay with me?"

It was the first thing she asked me, on that long ago day before we were brought to Wammys.

We were just two frightened little kids, abandoned my our families.

We ended up closer to each other than to any of the kids at the orphanage.

We worked together to become detectives and found that we were better as partners rather than rivals.

"Will you stay with me?" She asked me again, late one night as we were finishing up a case. That was the night we became a couple.

It was a three months later that I asked her that question, after having to arrest B. It was the hardest thing I've had to do at that point in my life. I wanted her to stay close to me so that I wouldn't begin wallowing in self hate for failing my successors. First A, and then B.

She held me until I passed out from stress and exhaustion. The next morning we worked together to change the successor program.

The next year, I asked her the question once again, as I prepared for the trip to Japan for the Kira Case. She simply smiled and left my room, returning a few moments later, suitcase in hand.

Our days continued on in this manner, with one of us asking the other to stay. I asked her when I was meeting the reduced task force for the first time. She asked the day of the To Oh entrance exams. I needed her the night Ukita was murdered. She wanted me close when we caught Higuchi.

I begged her to stay with me when she decided to follow Misa when she was freed from Headquarters.

I had asked her the question every morning before she left. For the first few nights she would return, with nothing to report. 

However yesterday she didn't return.

I knew the love of my life had been killed, and I knew my time was almost over as well.

I stood in the rain, thinking over my life with the beautiful woman I had been with for so long.

That was when I felt a presence and heard the familiar voice whisper her love for me.

"Will you stay with me?" I asked the breeze quietly despite the rushing rain.

I spoke to Light for a few minutes, my mind slowing down for the first time in my life as my death looked closer.

We walked inside and dried off before heading into the monitor room where the taskforce were complaining about the fake plan to test the notebook we received from Higuchi before he was killed. I'm truth, I was having the book destroyed.

The power went off, forcing the emergency power to kick on, the red monitors telling me that I was about to be reunited with my girlfriend.

As I closed my eyes to Light's triumphant face, I opened them to the expressive eyes of my closest companion.

"Always." Was all she said as she took my hand and we walked out of my building for the last time.