Too Quiet

It was too quiet today. I looked around, wondering why it felt so strange in the monitor room.

Light sat beside me, typing away at his computer. He had opted to take his classes online, since he couldn't go to the university.

Matusda was with Misa for her modeling career, so we weren't hearing either of them. Mr Yagami was sorting through paperwork with Mogi. Aizawa was at the police station.

I completed my search of the room and discovered one person missing.

My girlfriend (Alias).

Where was she?

Her laptop was sitting unused at her desk. Her chair pulled beneath the desk as though she hadn't been there all day.

"Has anyone seen (Alias)?" I asked, breaking the silence. Normally she would say something if she was leaving the room, unless it was to go to the restroom. However, she wasn't usually gone long enough for anyone to notice the silence.

The men all looked around before stating they hadn't seen her.

I checked the security footage throughout the building.

After several minutes, I found her in one of the smaller offices.

I turned off the camera and wiretaps in the office she was in. I stood up and left the room.

(First Name) looked up the purple notebook she was writing in when she heard the door open.

"Looking for something Ryuzaki?" She asked, tilting her head curiously.

"Just looking for you, I was wondering where you'd gone." I told her. She blushed at that, probably remembering the last time I had to look for her.

(Flashback)

We had been kids at Wammy's, and she ran off when some older kids were bullying her.

She was supposed to be meeting me in the library for a project, but she didn't show up.

I went to Watari, and he helped me find her. She had ducked into a room to hide from the bullies and had gotten locked inside it. She had been trapped there for 5 hours by the time we found her. That was because the bullies had chased her into an unused area that had been off limits unless we needed the extra rooms.

Needless to say, I had panicked the entire time my best friend had been missing. She was terrified and in tears when we found her. Once I was able to calm her, she told us what had happened. Those bullies were sent to another orphanage after that.

(End flashback)

I tuned in when my girlfriend started talking.

"Everyone is so busy looking for the new Kira that I didn't think anyone would notice I was gone." she replied.

"It was too quiet in the monitor room." I replied.

"Ah, I see."

"So what are you doing?" I asked, leaning over to read what she was writing.

"I'm looking up Shinigami legends. I wanted to figure out if there is any merit to the stories."

"Why?"

"Even you have to admit this case is really weird. Unconventional. So, I thought maybe it was something supernatural. I'm a skeptic, of course. However, every legend has some small grains of truth. I wanted to know how much truth." She explained.

"So what have you found?"

"The legends of Shinigami talk about scrolls that you can write names in. It's said that if you write a name while picturing their face, the person would die. The way the legends talk about the victims sudden death sound just like heart attacks. It seems like the writers believe they were 'cursed by witches with red eyes'. Some people have touched these scrolls and were 'possessed by monsters calling themselves death gods'."

Everything she was saying sounded like things we're having now. People dying of heart attacks, the 'L did you know Gods of Death loves apples' notes from the first Kira. Then there was the diary page talking about showing off their notebooks and Shinigami. Then finally, there were the messages from the second Kira talking about 'not having the eyes' and 'sharing the power'.

If the power is in fact a notebook; since a scroll would stand out; it will be easy to share it, and possibly hand over to a Kira successor.

"We know there is one Kira out there right now. Possibly two but I don't think that is very likely." She states, as she turns to face me. "I have no doubt that you were right about Light and Misa. You caught Misa and she lost her memories, which means she probably lost her notebook. My guess is, if a Shinigami gave it to her, it probably took it from her when she was caught."

She turned back to her notebook, looking thoughtful.

"We know they were in contact, so it's not out of the question for her Shinigami to go to Light with the notebook. If I were Light, I'd hide one notebook somewhere and send the other to someone. We can deduce he hadn't given up his notebook until after he was detained. Light wouldn't possibly take the chance that someone would have it and not give it back."

"He likely planned to become part of the taskforce, get close to me. It's what I would do." I continued her train of thought.

"When we get the notebook, we need to keep it away from him. We also need to find that other notebook."

We sat in the office for a couple of hours trying to figure out where the other notebook was. We had the feeling that it wouldn't be in his room.

"He would have likely expected to go back to how things were before, where he'd stay at home and only come in when you called him. He wouldn't want to become Kira too early, it would just make you suspicious of him again." She explained her reasoning.

"So not at his house, but somewhere close enough to get to."

"The only place that makes sense is the woods. It's close enough to walk to but still out of the way. Most people wouldn't bother going into the woods, so it's unlikely to be found without someone knowing it's there."

We decided she would take a few trips into the woods to search. Probably be best to go in the evening after she finishes her work for the day or during her lunch breaks.

She decided to go mostly in the evenings, so Light didn't become suspicious.

It took her an entire month to find what she was looking for.

The night I went up to her suite to find out what she discovered.

"I could tell it was buried rather recently, at the base of a tree. I haven't looked at it other than checking to determine it was a Death Note. I can confirm it is, and that Shinigami exist."

"You've seen a Shinigami?" I asked, and she nodded.

"You can too. Just touch the notebook. He is here with us." She replied as she turned to look at the wall.

I lightly touched the notebook and turned the way she was looking.

There I stared at a large gothic looking humanoid creature. It had light bluish-gray skin. It had spiky black hair and sharp monster-like teeth. Its large eyes were yellow and red, and it had huge black wings.

"This is Ryuk. Formerly attached to Light." (Alias) introduced flippantly.

I gave her a smirk. All we need now is the other notebook and we have the case solved. All thanks to my lovely girlfriend.