Run

L was worried. His girlfriend had been taken from him by her own mother.

What happened? You were just about to turn 18 and you were planning to leave your home to live with L.

Your mother was a controlling, manipulative woman who didn't want to lose her lapdog. She hates anything that makes you even the slightest bit happy, which means she hates L even though she had never met him.

When you are at home, you only ever use one of his aliases. Especially if you were talking to him on the cellphone he bought you. You did this to protect your boyfriend.

You had been tired of living under her roof, but was unable to do anything unless she attacked you.

You and L made plans for you to move into the orphanage on your 18th birthday, and you had slowly moved your things there over the course of that last year. By the time the awaited day had arrived, most of your clothing and personal effects were in a room next to L's. L had a whole wing to himself so there was no problem for you to get a room.

The only things you had left were a few outfits, a set of pajamas, and a necklace L had given you when you first began dating. It was a special necklace he had commissioned by a Wammy's craft kid. The necklace was his logo. You always kept it hidden, so your mother never found it.

It was a week before your birthday when it happened.

You were supposed to meet with him at the cafe you would usually sneak away to visit. L had planned to introduce you to Roger and Watari, so they would know to be expecting you on your birthday.

Both of the men had known that L had a girlfriend from the town, but you never had the chance to meet them before. The time you had to spend with L was very limited once you began dating. As you had gotten older, your mother became more controlling and it was harder to sneak out during the day. It got worse the closer it got to your birthday.

L understood this, and when you hadn't shown up he deduced that you had been unable to get away. This had happened a few times before, and you would usually apologize to him the next day when you could finally sneak out.

That is if you hadn't snuck out in the middle of the night.

You had no way to actually get a hold of L, as he had your cellphone. So L had no idea what had happened to you. But when you didn't show up for next day or that night, he had gotten worried.

He went over to your house around midnight the day after you were supposed to meet him. It was very quiet. Too quiet.

The lack of a car in front of the house was his first clue that something was off. Had your mother gone on one of her vacations?

He didn't think so. Even if your mother had a spur of the moment trip, she would tell you about it. If for no other reason but to give you a list of chores to do while she was gone and to stock up on foods that didn't require a stove. Your mother refused to let you even near the stove when she wasn't around, that was how controlling she was.

He knew this wasn't the case because you would always tell him the moment you knew of her trips. Those weeks were the only time you could really spend with L after all.

He peered into one of the windows. While the house was dark, a little bit of light from the moon made things just barely visible.

His mind took in what little information he could get from the dark room he was peering into. The room looked mostly normal.

The room he was looking into was the kitchen. The kitchen table and the chairs were still there. The microwave and coffee machine too.

However, the room just felt...off. He noticed the dish rack in the sink, but it was empty. Where were the dishes from dinner?

L moved on to another window. This time it was the living room he was looking into. This room felt off as well. L grew more concerned. The furniture was all here, but this room was more concerning than the kitchen was.

L could see the very slight discoloration of the wall across from the window he was at. Signs that there had been things hanging on the walls at one point in time. Things that were no longer there. No pictures or paintings in sight.

This room had no personal items at all. Your mother's favorite book that you told him she always kept beside her chair? Gone. The throw blankets and pillows your mother had out this time of year? Gone.

The next morning, a missing persons report was filed on you and your mother. The police were told that Denueve was on the case.

The police wandered into your house and took note of everything that was missing. They noted the lack of family photos, the lack of personal items like clothing and books.

Your room was completely bare apart from your bed and dresser. L knew this already. You had been sneaking things to him over the past year. The only thing out of place in your room was a note. The message was short and written hastily.

The police photographed the note and sent it in for analysis. It was your writing. The police had no idea what the message meant or who it was for. But L did. Just five words, but the message gave him a lot of information.

Your mother had kidnapped you. Likely in the middle of the night considering he had talked to you the day before you were supposed to meet him.

The five words? 'I Love You. I'm Sorry'.

A week after the report was filed, your mother's empty car was discovered at the airport. There was a small amount of blood on the back seat of the car. It was your blood, but there wasn't enough to make L worry that she had killed you.

DNA testing proved that both you and your mother had been in the car recently. Security footage from the airport showed you both getting on a plane. Airport workers that had seen you said that you looked a little disoriented and sad, but otherwise alright. They assumed the disorientation was due to the early hours.

L figured that your mother had finally found out your plans to leave and kidnapped you before you could.

While L was worried about you, he knew that you were smart. If there was even a slight chance you could find a way to escape your mother; you would.

(Your pov)

It has been a month now since I had seen L. A month since I was supposed to meet him. A month since my mother dragged me out of my bed and shoved me into the car.

(Flashback)

For once I was actually sleeping. I had made plans with L to sneak out, so he can introduce me to Watari and Roger. I'll be moving into Wammy's in a week, so they need to meet me.

I decided to sleep so that I could be ready for tomorrow, or at least that was my plan.

I was startled awake my bedroom door slammed open, and my mother stormed into the room.

"I know you were planning to run away you worthless little whore. No daughter of mine is going to run away with a no name orphaned brat." She growled out before dragging me to my closet and throwing in an outfit in my face. She took the couple of outfits I had left and shoved them in my school bag.

"You have three minutes." She stormed out slamming the door again.

I rushed through getting changed, trying to figure out how to escape whatever my mother had planned for me.

My room was on the second story. Too high to jump out of the window. I don't have a tree to climb, or a bit of roof by my window.

Normally, I'd just wait for my mother to go to sleep, then I'd sneak through the front door. That isn't an option right now though. She has something planned, and sleeping isn't part of it.

I didn't really have much time to come up with a solid escape plan, so I did the only thing I could think of in the limited amount of time I had.

I grabbed a random piece of paper from my desk and wrote a quick note for L, knowing that he'd find it. I left it on my pillow for him.

I rushed downstairs where my mother took my bag from me and shoved me into the car.

I hit the other door and could feel a small trickle of blood from my arm. A quick look told me that it was just a small cut.

I had no idea what my mother was planning until we arrived at the airport.

(End flashback)

Now I am sitting in a locked basement in a house in the middle of nowhere. There was a small thin cot in the room, the only piece of furniture down here. It had a thin pillow and a threadbare blanket that had no chance of keeping me warm as the nights got cooler.

The only personal things I had were my clothes that were in my school bag, a notebook, a pen that was almost out of ink and my necklace.

I am so lucky that my mother still hasn't discovered my necklace. It's the only thing I have that can give me even a little bit of hope.

I had spent so much time this past month staring at his logo, trying to make plans to escape and find him again.

I just have to be patient. Wait for an opening, wait for the right moment.

I looked up as I heard footsteps and quickly hid the necklace. Just in time to see my mother enter the room.

She was obviously drunk. This can either be a good thing for me or a very bad thing.

It ended up being both.

It started off with her screaming at me, saying that I had ruined her life and how she had to leave her home because of me. I didn't react, because it was her fault. She ruined my life by being a manipulative control freak. If she had been a decent mother, I wouldn't have felt the need to leave the moment I turned 18.

When I didn't react, she became violent, and by the time she left, I was definitely bruised.

The good thing that came out of her being drunk was that she forgot to lock the door.

I waited for a little while before slowly creeping up the stairs.

It was late at night, just like it was the night she took me out of our house in England.

With my bag in hand, I quietly made my way through the house I didn't spend much time in.

I was lucky that my mother let me go to the bathroom once a day. It gave me the chance to make mental notes of the layout of the house.

I found my mother passed out in the living room, so I quietly left out the kitchen door and quickly made my way down the single road.

I had no idea where I was going, but I did know that I was finally free. I walked the entire night, ignoring the pain in my side from where my mother attacked me.

I knew that I couldn't stop. My mother will eventually wake up from her drunken slumber and discover the unlocked basement door and back door.

She has a car she can drive and only two directions to check. The sky was just starting to lighten up with predawn light when I saw the first car I had seen since I left.

It was an older couple, and they stopped in front of me. It must have been obvious to them that something was wrong. I asked them how far away the nearest police station was.

Apparently my mother did her research when she chose the house I had escaped from. Despite having walked all night, I was still nearly 40 miles from the nearest town. They offered me a lift, and while I was naturally suspicious, thanks to being with L for so long, I agreed. I didn't have much of a choice.

It turns out that the couple truly were good people. I told them that I had escaped an abusive home and wanted to file a report with the police.

They dropped me off at the police station and I thanked them for their kindness before heading inside.

I told the cops the whole story, starting with my plans to move in with my boyfriend on my birthday. I continued into the night she came into my bedroom and shoved me into the car, locking me in the basement and the most recent attack, even showing them a little bit of my side, where the dark bruise contrasted with my pale skin tone. I finished with my trek to the station and the kind couple that found me on the side of the road 40 miles away from the police station.

They were able to find the house, and they arrested my mother. It was during the arrest that they had discovered the missing persons report back home.

The police here, contacted the police back home, and they contacted my boyfriend, using Denueve to investigate my case.

I had to stay in the country until the case was solved, but once it was, I was free to return home.

Wammy's house paid for my ticket home, and I got a taxi to take me to our favorite cafe.

My bag was still in hand as I made my way to our meeting place, and found a sad looking L sitting in his usual spot. He didn't look up as I entered the cafe.

"Is this seat taken?" I asked after I approached him. I swear I heard his neck crack with how quick he was to look up.

With tears in his eyes he sprang up from his position. He pulled me close, and we hugged each other tightly.

I knew that this was where I belonged, in the arms of the world's greatest detective. I was home, and I was free.