Strawberry Shortcake

Child L x Child Reader

It has been a long time since you've enjoyed your favorite dessert and you desperately wanted some.

It didn't matter to you that it was late into the evening. You really wanted some of your grandma's strawberry shortcake.

You haven't made it in over a year, which felt like a lifetime to a seven-year-old girl, but you made it so often with her that you could make it in your sleep.

You snuck into the kitchens, even though you knew you weren't allowed in unless it was your turn to help with the dishes.

You easily found everything you needed to get started and made mental notes of where to find the ingredients you needed for the homemade vanilla cream.

You began by preparing the strawberries just like your grandma taught you, even using her secret trick to make the strawberries juicy without having to wait all night.

Putting the cut strawberries in the fridge, you worked on the shortcake and heating up the oven.

After carefully putting the batter into the oven, you cleaned up the dishes you had used.

You were so busy with your baking, that you hadn't seemed to notice the set of dark eyes was observing you curiously.

L had been interested in the cute girl who was escorted to Wammys just a year ago.

She didn't talk to very many people. Sure, she was courteous and would speak quietly and cordially, but she didn't usually go out of her was to participate in a conversation.

That didn't prevent other kids from trying to speak to her.

(L's pov)

I smiled as I observed the girl from my spot in the obscure corner of the kitchen.

I know that it might sound creepy, but I was already in here before she arrived, and I didn't want to frighten her while she worked.

I had first noticed her in some of the classes we shared. I knew she was incredibly intelligent, but she was much more composed than most of the other kids there. She was capable of assessing the situation and run through different plans in her mind, before choosing the one that would produce the most desirable results.

Like right now, when she was staring intently at an ingredient she required that was on the top shelf of the cupboard. 

She could climb onto the counter, but it would make it harder for her to get back down to the floor with the necessary item.

She could also use a chair, but the scraping sound would alert the caretakers that she is in there in the first place.

So what will she do?

She noted the time on the cakes that were in the oven before running out the room.

I waited for a few minutes, until she came back with Watari, who assisted her in receiving what she desired.

I smiled, chuckling quietly from my spot in the room.

She chose to retrieve an adult she trusted who wouldn't have a problem with her being in here.

He will supervise her as she prepared her cake and none of the caretakers could say anything about her being in here, since the owner of the orphanage was with her.

The cake came out of the oven and cooled down, and I watched as she added the vanilla cream and strawberries.

She asked Watari to cut three slices of cake. She took one slice and set it down beside her, before waving towards me.

"You can come out of the shadows L. I knew you were here the whole time." She stated.

It's obvious that she has trained herself in observing her surroundings. Most kids our age are either oblivious of those around them, or they openly look around, making it obvious that they checking things out.

I stepped away from the corner I had been crouching in and sat down in the chair beside (First Name) to eat some of the delicious looking cake she made.

"How did you know he was there?" Watari asked.

"I could see his movement in the shadow, as well as his white shirt. If you want to hide in the dark, you need to blend in better. Your dark hair and eyes help, but you shirt gives you away. Plus you need to stand still, like a statue. Even when I wasn't looking, I could hear the subtle movements. After a while your feet tend to stick to the floor, and you can hear it when you move your foot. I can teach you some tricks I use to sneak around if you like." She replied. I nodded, glad for an excuse for spending more time with the mysterious girl.

Either way, I learned two new things while I sat there.

The first thing I learned was how to accomplish the one thing every kid here had been trying to do since (First Name) arrived; befriend the quiet girl.

The second thing I learned was that Strawberry Shortcake was now my favorite dessert, as long as she produces them.