Time

You knew there was something special about your favorite smart watch when you bought it three years ago.

For one thing, it keeps track of time perfectly, only needing adjusted if you travel to a new time zone. It gives you the day and date, and the weather too.

Charging it is easy too, with a small stand you keep beside your bed.

The main thing about this watch that makes it so special, however, is it's power to temporarily stop time.

The first time it happened was on your first day at the NPA. You had gotten stuck in traffic and was almost running late.

It was a habit you've had for years, where you'd grab at your wrist when you felt worried or nervous. You had forgotten the watch when you did it that day.

You looked up when you noticed that everything seemed to freeze except for you. You continued on your way unsure what had happened.

You reached the station without any movement from anyone outside. There was no sound either which was extremely strange to you.

It wasn't until you looked down at the digital watch when you realized that the time on it hadn't moved in at least five minutes.

You looked around the police station, there were people frozen in everyday poses. A woman with tears in her eyes held a pen in her hand, probably giving a written statement. Moving down the hallway, a tired looking officer had been pouring coffee when he froze, the coffee formed a perfect stream between the pot and his cup.

You nervously grasped your wrist again, and that was when everything began moving again. No one seemed to have noticed that time froze, and your watch had not updated with the time it should be, which felt like an hour. It was as if time hadn't froze at all, except for the fact that you made it to work on time, rather than the several minutes late you should have been.

While you are sparing with your time freeze ability, you have tested it a few times.

It seems that everything freezes, not just the people as they are going about their lives. Sound stops too. You tested it while listening to your favorite song on a radio. It stopped when you froze time, but continued without missing a beat when you resumed time.

Nobody noticed time freeze, they just continue on without question. You could unfreeze people or keep a person unfrozen. You had to personally touch or have them touch you to unfreeze them. If they were touching you when the time froze, they'd be unaffected by the time freeze.

On the downside to that, you have to avoid touching people or things to keep them frozen. That makes it difficult if you freeze time in a crowded room or during a shooting, because you don't want very many people knowing what your watch could do.

Due to how easy it is to freeze time, you decided the best thing to do is to set a fingerprint lock. The watch will only work if you unlock it with your finger.

Back to the present, you were sitting at your desk in L's taskforce building.

You were on the genius detectives side with the 'Light is Kira' suspicion. Where the others were letting their previous interactions with the Chief's son cloud their judgement, you had no such problem. You have never worked with the teen, had no personal connection with him, other than his father being your boss of course.

In all honesty, this was why you felt his father shouldn't even be on the taskforce, no offense to him. It is simply impossible for him to be impartial to the case.

You've worked as an officer long enough to see the reactions of some of the people related to those you've arrested. Especially the parents, who refuse to believe that their perfect child could possibly do whatever it was they did, claiming that they were 'such a sweet and kind person'.