Sweet Dreams

Soulmate au- 

You own a sweet shop in Japan. You have a calendar beside you, and your watch tells you that it's 1300 when you see the only other person in your dream show up. A tired looking man with thick black hair wearing a long-sleeved white shirt and jeans.

You've been having that dream for many years now, and it was finally time for it to become real.

You've heard of Soulmate Dreams, which are dreams a person would have that shows them when and how they will meet their soulmate.

After the third dream, you went to your favorite teacher for help. The teacher was born in Tokyo, and you knew that she could help you start making your dream into reality.

You explained the dream to her, and she helped you by teaching you everything she could about the language and culture. When you graduated from high school, you went to college, taking business classes as well as language classes, continuing your Japanese education.

It's been two years since you arrived in Japan, and you have gotten to work on building your sweet shop in the Kanto region of Japan. You were nearly in the center of Tokyo.

Today is the day your dream has been leading you to, however you were worried.

Last year, Kira showed up and began killing people. He began by only killing criminals, but you knew it was only a matter of time before he'd go after innocent people.

You relaxed a bit when L became involved. He was a mysterious detective who always solved the cases he took on. You had a lot of respect for him.

Your mind went back to your Soulmate, his image firmly imprinted into your mind. You wondered what he was like. Does he speak English? What does he do? What does he like, besides sweets? What brought him to Japan?

You looked at your watch, which told you that you only had 20 more minutes before you meet your soulmate. Perhaps then you'll get some of the questions answered.

You had one of your best friends helping you and were ready to take over when he shows up.

She knows that your soulmate was showing up today, and she has offered to take over the rest of the day so you can spend it with him.

You decided to give her a pay boost for the day in thanks.

(L's pov)

I am walking into a sweet shop looking for some cake, and I'm met with the only other person in the shop, a beautiful young woman who appears to be waiting for me.

Every time I fall asleep, I have this dream.

I know what it is, and I'm surprised that I have it.

Not everyone has Soulmate Dreams, and I never thought that I would get them. They are pretty rare. I only know of five other people that have had them. Two of them have met their soulmate, and the dreams have stopped, and the other three still have them.

The girl in the dreams was beautiful, though. I have to give credit to whoever decided that she was meant for me.

What is she like? What does she think of me? I'm nervous, but excited. She must not be bothered by my appearance if the bright smile she gives me when I enter her shop is an indication.

I told Watari not to worry about the sugar run today, telling him that I was going to go out myself.

He knows about my dreams, so I believe that he knows why I am willing to actually go outside today.

The minutes ticked by as I waited until I needed to leave.

I spent nearly all day yesterday cleaning up my suite in case she came over. My floor was the safest place to have private conversations.

I looked at the clock on my laptop and knew that it was time to go. I stood up, ignoring the whispers of the taskforce as I left the monitor room, stopping by Watari's office, and thanked him when he wished me luck.

I walked down the familiar path that I've never used, but have always travelled in my dreams. I stopped in front of the sweet shop I've seen so often.

I took a deep calming breath and opened the door.

She stood on the other side of the counter, wearing a short sleeves (favorite color) shirt and jeans. Her eyes bright as she gave me a shy smile.

She is just as beautiful in reality as she is in my dreams.

She turned for a moment, speaking to someone in the back room. I could hear a female voice reply.

My soulmate took off her apron and came out from behind the counter, walking over to me.

"I'm so happy to finally me you. You can call me Ayumu." She introduced herself. I smiled at the obvious alias, meaning dream or vision.

"You can call me Ryuzaki."

She has my order ready for my arrival and she asks me where I would like to have our much needed conversation.

We talk as she leads me to her car, and after getting inside, I give her directions to a hidden garage that only Watari and I know of. This garage leads to my floor, and to Watari's floor.

Once we arrived, we spent a couple of hours getting to know each other. I told her a little bit about my work, leaving out details of the current investigation. She in turn told me about her teacher helping her prepare for this meeting by teaching her about Japan's language and culture.

As much as I wanted to stay in my rooms with Ayumu all day, I knew that I needed to return to work so the taskforce wouldn't get suspicious.

I don't want anyone to find out about my soulmate, so I must do anything I can to keep her safe.

We exchanged phone numbers and Instant Messenger accounts to continue getting to know one another.

I'm more dedicated to catch Kira than I ever was before so that I can have the bright and happy future with Ayumu.