Baby Boy

I have been a big fan of anime, and My favorite is Death Note.

The first time I saw it I was 15 and had easily fallen in love with the sugar loving detective.

I had always dreamed of marrying L, and giving him the love and happiness of a family. It was my biggest wish to make sure that L was cared for. Even though I knew that he was just a fictional person.

I kept that desire hidden away from the world, as I continued my life in reality.

I graduated high school and went to college, where I met and fell in love with my husband.

We dated for three years before tying the knot, and we traveled the world for his job as a multilingual interpreter.

It took us two years to settle down enough to try for a family, and another year before we got the news.

We talked for a while about what names we should give our baby, and for the first time, I told someone of my anime crush.

It turns out that my husband was also a fan of Death Note, among a handful of other anime and animated movies we both had loved as children.

We came up with a list of boy and girl names from all of the anime we loved, but we couldn't decide what names to choose. We ended up with a list of ten from each list, but couldn't reduce it further, at least until we found out the gender.

After that, we put away the list of girl names in order to focus on the names for our son. Even then, we had no ideas.

"We'll just know when he is born. I'm sure one will fit him when we finally see him." My husband told me as the delivery date approached.

(Time skip)

It's been nine hours since my water broke, and it's finally over. My son has arrived and is being cleaned up while I catch my breath.

My husband was at work when it started, so our neighbor was kind enough to bring me to the hospital while her husband called mine.

I was exhausted, but I wanted to see my baby before I fell asleep.

As if my thoughts summoned her, the nurse came over to my bed with the little blue bundle. My husband sat beside me as he gently pushed my hair away from my flushed face.

I gasped in surprise as my son was handed to me.

Dark black eyes gazed up at me innocently, a mess of black hair poked out from beneath the blue hat that had been placed on him.

Even though I knew it should be impossible, he was real, and he was in my arms.

"I will give you what you should have had. Love and a happy childhood. I will always be here for you, My little Lawliet." I spoke the promise to the baby that looked nearly identical to the anime character for whom he was as named.

It may not have been what I had expected, but I had gotten my wish.