Winter Night

(Your pov)

I glanced impatiently out the expansive window for the tenth time that frigid night as I desperately waited for the familiar sound of a luxury car to come down the long driveway.

It's been three weeks since my husband had left for a case in Germany.

"Mummy?" I turned around to discover my 4-year-old daughter, standing at the bottom of the stairwell. I had been focused on the falling snow that I hadn't heard her come downstairs.

"Is Daddy gonna be home soon?" She walks up to me wearing the pink footie pajamas she received for Christmas.

"He's on his way Sweetie. You want some hot cocoa while we wait for him?" I asked as I ran my fingers in her long jet-black hair. She shifted her grey eyes to the door before looking back up at me, nodding slowly.

I escorted my little girl to the kitchen, placing her in the nearest chair while I prepared the warm drinks, making sure to add plenty of marshmallows to both cups.

"How did you know you loved Daddy?" My clever daughter asked as I hand her the cup.

"I knew the moment I first laid eyes on him that I would cherish him. I could just tell he wasn't anything like the guys that were always trying to get my attention. I was never interested in people who look perfect. It's like my mummy always told me when I was little. Never judge a book by its cover."

"What does that mean?" She asked, confused since she had never heard the odd phrase before.

"It means not judging anyone by what they look like."

"Like how Uncle Mello looks scary but is really nice?"

"Exactly. When my co-workers and I met your Daddy at the same time, and none of us expected him to look like he does. We were all expecting him to look like an officer, not like someone who just rolled out of bed. The others were not sure what to expect, likely expecting the meeting to be a joke, kind of like we had opened the wrong door and that he was actually waiting in another suite for us.

"I bet Daddy woulda laughed if anyone said anything about them being in the wrong place." She replied and I laughed at the visual I got of L chuckling at the men. I could only imagine the shock on their faces should they have ever found out that he possesses genuine emotions.

"I could tell your Daddy needed someone who could understand him and love him for whom he is. I was determined to be that person. I became someone he 

could rely on. He revealed to me who he genuinely is, the sweet and loving man we know him to be."

"I hope your talking about me." I looked up as my husband entered the kitchen.

"Daddy!" I smiled as our daughter launched herself in L's arms and he scooped her up with practised ease.

For a man who had been extremely nervous about being a dad, he definitely fits the role perfectly.

"So how is my little Strawberry doing today?" He asked the child and she began rapidly explaining she has been doing since we last saw him.

Eventually, our daughter wore herself out and fell asleep in his arms. I watched with a smile as L took her back upstairs, before I turned to the window.

He returned a few minutes later, and wrapped his arms around me, and we watched the snow fall.