Unknown Rules

Unknown Rules

Prompt: There was an unknown rule of the Death Note. If a human is separated from their soulmate by the Death Note, That human will become a Shinigami until their soulmate dies. The reunited soulmates will then go to the afterlife together.

Your worst fears had come true.

L, your husband, was killed by Kira.

You didn't know what to do anymore. The love of your life was gone, and nobody in the taskforce seemed to really care.

They just went about the day as normal, except now Light was pretending to be L.

You hated him, more than you had ever hated anyone. He robbed you of your happiness.

It became difficult for you to keep pretending that everything was ok, and dealing with everyone's false sympathy.

You had to get out for a while.

You walked through the city, not really caring where you were going. You were just deep in thought.

Until you turned into a familiar alley, not far from your house. You heard something fall right in front of you, snapping you out of your depressed daze.

You know what it was the second you saw it. A Death Note. It felt wrong to pick it up, being the thing that killed your husband, yet you were compelled to grab it. You couldn't stop yourself. You had tears in your eyes as you stared at the black notebook.

Then you heard it. The voice you never expected to hear again.

L Lawliet was floating right in front of you, looking just like he always does, except that he had Big black bat like wings, and he had a notebook on his hip in a case identical to the one you saw on the Shinigami that wrote his name.

"I'm here now, my cupcake." He smiled sadly as he took in your disheveled form, your bloodshot eyes and tear stained cheeks. He used his nickname for you so you would know it was him, and not something from your imagination.

"Lollipop?" You asked tentatively, as if afraid it was a dream, and you'll wake up to find that you are all alone again. He smiled brighter, and you lunged at him for a hug.

You led L to your house so you could talk. You had so many questions for him.

(Time skip)

"I knew I was going to die, but I was afraid to. I didn't want to leave you, especially with Light around.

"When I woke up I was in a dark, barren wasteland. This Shinigami came up to me and told me that I was in the Shinigami realm. He told me that there was an long forgotten rule in the Death Note regarding the separation of soulmates."

"What is the rule, and why is it long forgotten?"

"If a human is separated from their soulmate by the Death Note, That human will become a Shinigami until their soulmate dies. The reunited soulmates will go to the afterlife together. It is a forgotten rule because soulmates are so rare, and this hasn't happened in almost 2000 years."

You looked down, deep in thought, as you mind took in everything L told you.

"All I really know is that I couldn't stand the thought of being away from you. So I dropped this notebook in front of you, so we could still be together, even though it wouldn't be the same because I'm a Shinigami and you're a human." He sighed, causing you to look up.

"But that's only until I die right? Then we can go to the afterlife and spend eternity together." He nodded, wondering what you were thinking.

"I know what to do. Come on L!" You grinned as you grabbed your Death Note and sticking it in your purse, before running outside.

You walked through downtown Tokyo, until you reached your destination and waited for someone.

After sitting on a bench for 20 minutes you heard the familiar squeal.

"(ALIAS)!!!!!" You were pulled into a hug from your somewhat friend Misa Amane, aka the Second Kira. You took a moment to glance up at L who was staring at something behind the blonde model.

What is the other Shinigami?

"I'm so sorry! I didn't know you were waiting for me! Did you want to hang out?" She asked, and you nodded, simply saying that you wanted to talk to her about something. She smiled and lead you to her apartment.

"By the way (Alias), I can tell you have one now too. I have the eyes again, and I can't see your lifespan anymore. I honestly didn't think you'd end up with one because of what happened to Ryuzaki."

"It's an interesting story, actually."

You removed your Death Note from your purse, knowing that she would know what to do.

When Misa saw that your Shinigami was L, she was surprised, and had to ask you how it happened. So you and L explained things to her before you brought up the reason for your visit.

Both Misa and L were surprised by what you wanted the model to do, but she agreed to do everything you asked, since she was your friend, and she was always a sucker for romance.

"If I had known that you two were together, I would have asked Rem to spare you Ryuzaki."

"We didn't want anyone to know because we were worried that if Light found out he'd exploit our relationship by killing (First Name)."

"Yeah, if he knew about us then he would've known that killing me would have made L become depressed, and keep him from being able to focus on the case."

Misa understood your reasoning, and gave you a hug goodbye as you left, knowing that she would never see you alive again.

You made it to your destination, after burning the Death Note L gave you, since you would no longer need it.

You sat down and waited for Misa's handiwork to take effect. You smiled as you felt your life slipping away.

When the pain subsided, you opened your eyes to see L, looking completely normal, no longer appearing as a Shinigami. He smiled at you as he offered you his hand. You took it and he helped you stand up.

Without looking back you walked off toward the sunset.

The next day, the taskforce finally noticed that you weren't at Headquarters. After being unable to reach you through your cellphone, they went out looking for you.

It was Aizawa who found your body, leaning against L's tombstone, a happy smile on your face.