Chapter 71: The Mechanic, Part 1

I had to split this chapter into two parts, but don't worry the smut is in Part 2.

On an overcast May day, Farah and Pietro were standing outside Missoula International Airport in Montana.

After the news about her grandfather's passing, Tony insisted Farah go and spend time with her family. Little did he know, that was the opposite of what she wanted to do.

Farah had no interest in seeing her family or mourning her grandpa. He was part of the whole reason why she never wanted to go home in the first place and she didn't want to celebrate his life. Unfortunately, her mother expected her to be there and she knew she was practically required to go.

The second he found out she was going, Pietro insisted on going with her. She kept telling him that she would be fine on her own, but he was rather adamant about being there for her.

Farah appreciated it, she really did, it was just hard for her to go back to Montana. Everything was going to remind her of her past with Malia and she wasn't sure she was ready for that. Really, the only reason she was going was to support her mom.

So there the two were, waiting for Farah's mom to pick them up from the airport. Farah was anxiously scratching her neck like she had been her entire flight.

Pietro couldn't tell why she was so nervous, he had just assumed it was because of her grandfather's death. Every time he asked her what was wrong, she just brushed it off, saying she was fine. Pietro knew this wasn't true but he didn't want to pry.

He just reached down and grabbed the hand that was on her neck, pulling it away so she didn't hurt herself from the scratching. He gave it a gentle squeeze, giving her a reassuring smile.

Farah just looked up at him and gave him a half-hearted smile, feeling his soothing touch against her skin. She was honestly just nervous about seeing her mom and the rest of her family. She hadn't seen them since Malia died and she had a rather bad feeling about their visit.

Ever since they stepped foot onto the airplane, Farah had a really bad feeling brewing in the pit of her stomach. Maybe it was just her anxiety, but there was something off about this entire trip and she wasn't sure why.

Pietro just gently rubbed his thumb into the back of her hand causing her to let out a small smile, lacing her fingers with his. She glanced up at him.

"Before my mom gets here, I feel like I should warn you that she can be..." Farah said, looking for the right word, "Well a lot," She added, looking down at their connected hands. Pietro raised an eyebrow at her and was about to say something, but he got cut off.

As if on queue, a white jeep with a bright orange stripe across it honked three times and pulled up in front of the two. The tires screeched a little as the Jeep stopped and the door opened, revealing a short and bubbly woman.

Sharie Wilks stepped out of her car and looked at her daughter. Her vibrant, curly red hair was rather wild from the open top on her Jeep, her green eyes looking at the two in front of her. She looked very similar to Farah, just with more auburn hair and a few wrinkles. Her cat-eye style glasses covered up her dazzling eyes, complimenting the dark wash overalls she was wearing. She gave Farah a big smile, walking over and pulling her daughter into a hug.

"Oh Berry, I've missed you," Sharie said to Farah, holding her closely. Farah hugged her back, surprised to find a small smile creeping onto her face. She had been nervous to see her mom, thinking it was going to be awkward, but this felt natural. It was like all the anxiety she was feeling before got washed away in that hug. Farah shrugged a little.

"I've missed you too, Ma," She replied, eventually pulling away. Sharie gave Farah one last smile before turning and looking at Pietro, who was just watching them from a few feet away.