Chapter 2.1

“Hello, class! Ever so lovely to see your intellectual faces brimming with excitement for knowledge!” Baizhu exclaimed out loud to his students. The class paid little attention to his encouragements, all putting a face of boredom and apathy. Baizhu furrowed his eyebrows, sadden to see his students barely engage in his teachings.

“Why the long faces? Are you all disappointed by my appearance?” Baizhu dramatically cast out, bringing a sense of drama to spark the class.

“No offense teach but it’s literally 8 in the morning and some of us do not have the energy to entertain with your notions,” Chongyun said, his eyes feeling slightly droopy, but he tries to not let it show.

Xingqiu who was next to him, was asleep except he trained himself to sleep with his eyes open, so it looked like he was awake though a bit spaced out. It occasionally freaked him out.

“tsk, time shouldn’t be a reason to not let passion persist! But alas you younglings have yet to learn that” Baizhu said, then faces the board, ranting on.

Chongyun took this as an opportunity to hastily wake Xingqiu and prevent him from getting in trouble. Chongyun lightly pinches his friend’s thigh. Xingqiu lets out a small gasp, his body awaking with movement and his eyes frantically moving to show he was no longer asleep.

“Baizhu’s getting dramatically antsy, best to avoid him getting mad at you” Chongyun quietly whispered to Xingqiu who nodded, then he darted his eyes at Chongyun and leaned in.

“you know” Xingqiu quietly whispers, “if you’re going to pinch me, do it harder” Xingqiu sultry adds, smirking a bit, then proceeds to lip bite obnoxiously.

Chongyun leaned away, rolling his eyes. He then mouths “go to horny jail” at Xingqiu,  who only quietly laughs.

“Alright, class! It is time for me to announce it!” Baizhu dramatically announces out loud, turning towards the class with a sharp spin. “There is going to be a semester-long book project!” Baizhu announces, then pauses for a reaction.

A couple of students mutter and whisper to each other, but it was for the most part rather lacking in energy. Baizhu’s shoulders droop sadden to see the lack of a reaction. “okay fine have it your way” Baizhu says, rolling his eyes. “it’s a group project, so get into a group of 4 and I’ll just pass out the rubric, etc.” Baizhu says, feeling defeated by his audience of tired students.

The class all perked up, suddenly awake at the mention of a group project. The class began to roar a bit, as students clambered and whispered loudly to form a group, avoiding being a loner. Chongyun and Xingqiu glanced over to each other, solidifying their partnership for the book project.

Then they faced towards the table in front of them, two students they know fairly well. Xiangling and Hu Tao looked behind them, seeing the two boys glancing at them, an unspoken conversation plays out before their eyes. In the end, the four all form a group for the book project.

“I knew that would wake you up” Baizhu sighed, mumbling as students chattered amongst themselves, securing groups.

Baizhu unenthusiastically passed out rubrics from table to table, watching the students yell out names and frantically organize themselves.

Baizhu noticed four students all casually sitting together, vibing amidst the chaos. “that’s a hell of a friend group” Baizhu muttered, having finally passed out all of the rubrics.

Later on, in the day, specifically in the 7th period, Lumine watches as her options began to crumble away. Baizhu had announced the group project while
Lumine was spacing out so she wasn’t paying attention to what he said.