Chapter 6.6

Barbra sat in the corner alone, her breathing loud and heavy. She hugged her knees, placing her head low and trying to drown out her head with the sounds of pop songs.

Pop songs she was trained to sing perfectly under Alice’s guidance. She wanted to sing along and get lost in the music but singing only reminded her of Alice. She could remember the days Alice spent with Barbra in the beginning, listening and encouraging her. She would give tips and help her with vocal exercises.

They never had any trainers or instructors it was always Alice and her, in the practice room. Then over time, Barbra learned how to teach herself new songs and had become very well skilled at singing and dancing, meaning Alice didn’t need to spend hours with her.

Barbara couldn’t help but remember the day that Alice told her she didn’t need to help her train, that she could do it on her own.

“Alice you’re here!” Barbra exclaimed, glad to see the manager who was a bit late than normal. She seemed to arise, grabbing a few things before finally speaking.

“Hi Barbra, I uh just wanted to say that I need to work on other stuff. But you’re trained enough to know how to keep going on your own, so I believe in you,” Alice said, then dashing out the door before Barbra could say another word.

“Oh," Barbra said quietly, left alone in the broken practice room, feeling cold and alone.

Barbra felt that should’ve been the first sign that Alice was losing interest and going to abandon the project.

Unable to help her train and be by her side, how could Alice even expect to debut her or find other girls to join her?
Anger filled her, feeling stupid for not seeing it all so sooner. She was mad at the many promises, saying things that would never happen. Her mind surged with rage as she remembered the day she first met Alice, being so young and hopeful.

“Little girl! W-wait!” the strange red lady with blonde hair cries out in the crowd Barbra jumps, surprised to see the grown woman run after her.

“Uh,” Barbra says, nervous and confused. She wasn’t sure if she should run or not. She has been told that now she was in 8th grade, people will want weird things with her. Yet the woman didn’t seem like that.

“Yes, Barbra I believe,” Alice said, finally arriving close to Barbra.

“Your voice is INCREDIBLE!” Alice exclaims, stars filling her eyes. Barbra blushed, surprised at the compliment. No one listened to her while she sings to songs in the park along. It was just a fun casual thing she did.

“O-oh thanks,” Barbra, stuttering.

“I know this is a bit unorthodox but will you join my group that I’m debuting,” the woman said abruptly. Barbra choked, shocked at the request.

She stared at the woman, trying to find the lie but she seemed very genuine and passionate about it. Barbra was scared to get her hopes up, having the secret dream of being an idol singer, having looked up to her favorite girl groups who were all spread happiness with their music. Barbra wished she could do that but she decided to repress the dream for sake of being a doctor since she got to be invited to the Genshin District.

“Please come with me, I’ll explain more,” Alice said, reaching out her hand. Barbra felt nervous, unsure of what to do. Then she glanced at her phone and saw a picture of an idol from the album cover a song of theirs she was playing. Feeling inspired, she got and took Alice’s hands.

“Alright,” Barbra said recklessly, agreeing to the woman. The rest of the day was spent filled with promises and hyping Barbra’s dreams up. The next was convincing her parents and eventually, she began her training.

“AH!” Barbra cried out, frustrated at the memories and the naïve self she was, to believe in the woman. Years of training for a woman she met in the park who had stronger ambitions than she ever had. She felt stupid and lied to, her hands curling into fists. The speaker begins to play another song and, in her rage, she aims to hit the speaker. Only to be interrupted by a call from her phone.

“What?” she says harshly, seeing it was Jean.

“Barbra! Help, is Klee with you?”  Jean says, her voice panicky.

“No, is everything alright?”  Barbra said, confused. For extra money, she had agreed to babysit Klee at times, usually requested to do so by Jean, the two getting to know each other through Alice.

“She ran away and I can’t find her,” Jean said. Barbra gasped, having always loved the excited and energetic child. She was one of her biggest fans, and one of the sweetest people she knew.
A wave of worry and concern hit her as she realized that Klee must be dealing with either Alice’s disappearance the worst.

“Is there anything I can do to help?” Barbra asks, wanting to make sure the child was safe.

“Uh, I guess you can help me find her. I’ll go and pick you up,” Jean says, the sound of her driving becoming more apparent.

“Okay, I’ll be waiting out front,” Barbra says, reaching for her stuff and dashing out the practice room. She hangs up with Jean and hurries past the dimly lit hallways, all more unfulfilled promises of Alice.