Chapter 5.5

After seeing Barbara’s car leave to take her to the agency, Rosaria began to head home, done with her task of guarding and protecting Barbra. She walked down the gray sidewalk, looking at the cracks in the pavement while listening to music on full blast. It was part of her routine, letting herself ease after a long day of constant scanning and focus, then just relaxing and tuning out the world no matter what.

At least that would not happen, but to her surprise, she felt someone tap her shoulder while she was walking, catching her off guard.
Growling, she turned around, giving a snarl to get rid of the perpetrator quickly. Yet the person persisted, which to Rosaria’s surprise was Xinyan behind her.

“What?” Rosaria said, annoyed that her routine was thrown off guard.

“U-um, you can play the bass right? I remember you're in band class and-" Xinyan stumbled out before Rosaria stopped her.

“Yes,” Rosaria said bluntly.

“Well, um then can you help me with the talent show and play bass for me, I need someone to support me,” Xinyan said, her eyes widening in desperation and the verge if not already, begging.

Rosaria stood stunned, unsure. Amongst the people in the school who could hold a candle to Barbra's roaring fire, Xinyan would hold the largest. Rosaria has heard her sing and occasionally perform when others haven’t, knowing that she has the passion and skill to do well. Yet due to Barbra's rabid fanbase in the school and outside, it was hard to garner attention, especially in the town or school.

So, Rosaria felt conflicted, not wanting to work with the enemy, even if it might be a small potential threat. Rosaria looked at Xinyan, staring into space and unsure of how to respond. She knew Xinyan's music style, being rock and punk vibes, a genre of music that Rosaria personally likes so it did seem interesting to perform in said genre. Yet a voice inside of her, saying no and by doing so, she is betraying years of friendship and support, hurting Barbra's chances of musical success.

Another thought popped into her head, throwing chaos into the confusion. Alice. She is technically paid every two weeks by Alice for guarding Barbra, a deal that two established since Barbara's rise to success. By joining Xinyan for her performance, does it mean she is betraying and hurting Barbra, defeating the purpose of her job as a bodyguard?

In a weird twist of fate, Rosaria was unsure and felt her mind split into two sides.  Battling loyalty over desire. She felt that the performing would be cool but is she betraying her friend. Xinyan stepped and gave a moment of respite to Rosaria’s confusion.

“Uh, if you need to decide for a bit, here’s my number and like text me before Wednesday,” Xinyan said, handing a slip of paper to Rosaria. Rosaria awkwardly accepted it and Xinyan left, heading off elsewhere into the wind. Rosaria now felt the pressure of a deadline, feeling more conflicted and confused.

She sighed deeply, her mind in rambles and slightly shaken by the odd turn of events. Each minute she felt a growing excitement and interest in performing punk style but also then she remembers Barbra and her dreams that she had repeatedly mentioned to Rosaria. Bring happiness to everyone through music and dance, and how can she do that if Rosaria becomes a competition, another obstacle? The last thing Rosaria wanted to be was an obstacle to her friend’s dreams.

She sighed loudly, heading home to contemplate and think things out more.