Chapter 7.7

Yanfei giggles, looking at her texts from Hu Tao instead of looking at her debate textbook.

Hu Tao

Hu Tao: and that's how I almost died from a client's funeral, it was crazy
I'm glad you're alright

Hu Tao: I'm sure you are <3

Yanfei blushes at the little heart, her heart racing like crazy from it. Ever since she got Hu Tao's number, she had been texting back and forth with her manically. It's been the most phone she had with her phone for a long time, never having much time to use it for recreational purposes. Ambitiously, Yanfei decides to send a heart to, reciprocating the love.

<333

Yanfei held her breath, worrying that it may have been too much. Had she sent too much love, too many threes, was Hu Tao going to feel pressured? Suddenly the little bubble icon popped, showing Hu Tao was typing. Yanfei could feel her face go purple, too much anticipation riding on the text message.

Hu Tao: cute, anyway I gtg, cya <33333

Yanfei gasps out for air, her chest heaving as she had restricted her lungs for way too long. Then Yanfei noticed that Hu Tao put more threes, indicating more love back. It made her blush madly, happy to see Hu Tao feeling similar. Her hands were shaking weirdly, so excited and her chest bursting with such happiness.

"I-I don't know what to do with all of this," Yanfei says out loud, her voice trembling from the burst of happiness she had gotten. She felt so giddy as if she could explode from all the extra energy.

Her stomach was curling, butterflies filling it, her mind spinning like crazy from all the fun interactions, and her heart beating as if its about to die. Her eyes watered a bit, feeling immensely overwhelmed by the influx of emotions.

She began to gasp for air, breathing a bit too quickly. Looking in the mirror nearby her desk, she sees herself. Tears streaming her face, constantly breathing, borderline hyperventilating, and smiling like a maniac. It was so weird; she never knew that romantic feelings could be so extreme. The thought of Hu Tao brought so much happiness, remembering Hu Tao's every perfection.

Then she glanced to her desk and realized it was her debate textbook, a book she had memorized front to back after countless hours spent reading it. She was rereading it as a way to prepare for her upcoming debate, now a month away. She had already gotten a lot of her evidence and argument down, just needing to practice them.

She checks her phone's clock, remembering that an hour ago she was studying then Hu Tao sent her a message. It then led to another message and another and before she knew it, an entire hour was wasted.

"It wasn't wasted" Yanfei counterargues. Her brain believed otherwise.

Yes, it was, we should've been focusing on our future, and right now we need to study" her mind says, reminding the heart of what was needed. Before Yanfei knew it, she was embroiled in an internal argument.

"We had fun and are happy because of it, isn't happiness important?"

"It is and we need to work for it by
studying"

"So, we should just ignore fun things that happen now, we should be allowed to have fun when we can"
"Studying can be fun, with some music. Nonetheless, we need to focus and make our future enact before we can focus on our happiness. Also isn't this our dream, to become Liyue's top lawyer?"

"I guess so, but that's so far away, what are we supposed to do now?"

"Study and focus on the future, make sure we reach our objective,"

"But Hu Tao makes us happy right now, can't we just spend a bit of time focusing on that as well?"

"No, she made us get distracted, losing valuable studying time,"

"Our heart flutters when seeing her, does that mean nothing to you? If we aim for happiness, then we should do things that make us happy, and Hu Tao makes us happy,"

"Our dream will make us happy, and we should focus on it"

"AGH!" Yanfei cries out, frustrated, and tears down her face. Everything felt too much, too many emotions that were conflicting with one another, too many debates and arguing, all of it making her brain overload, her heart overwork.

She looked back at her textbook, an intense wave of pressure and anxiety crashing onto her. She had never felt that before when seeing textbooks. She felt sick, her stomach curdling and beating her body.

"I-I can't today," Yanfei mutters, closing the textbook and going to bed right away. Lights off, she forces her body to shut off.