Chapter 10.6

“Ugh, can’t believe I’m doing this,” Zhongli muttered to himself, dragging a red wagon full of rotten tomatoes he got for free from the nearby grocery store. He saw it once in a movie and the characters had then thrown the tomatoes at an enemy’s house.

So, Zhongli decided to take inspiration and just do the same thing, grateful for knowing a friend who worked at the grocery store.

Huffing out air, he drags the wagon, getting occasional weird looks from joggers and kids in their parent’s car.

But he didn’t let the judgment get to him, he had a plan and he still was worked up over the girl. Just because it may be illegal to throw rotten fruit at a stranger’s house didn’t stop him and his train of revenge.

He continues down the sidewalk, strenuously pulling his arms to move the red wagon of tomatoes, taking each step slowly as tomatoes were surprisingly heavier than expected. So, he tapped into his fury.

Eventually, he reached Lumine’s house, the white house on the street that stuck out with its luxury and modern-looking architecture among all the more traditional and basic houses.   

“Rich bish,” Zhongli mutters, annoyed at the sore thumb of a house. He got close to a bush that edged the property line of the house, and picks up a tomato, preparing to aim fire.

“I’m so happy! I-I’m shaking Aether,” Lumine squeals, sending a flight response in Zhongli’s nerves as he ducks behind the bush. His ears perk up, confused by Lumine’s sentiment.

“I’m sure you’re very happy now that you have your special date, but I’m hungry so I’m heading inside,” Aether says, his deeper than Lumine’s but weirdly Zhongli always found the two to have similar voices, just one was deeper.

“Same too bro,” Lumine responds, rolling her eyes. Zhongli watches the girl head inside her house, leaving him alone to connect the dots.

“She’s already asked him out,” Zhongli mentally said, realizing it. It put a stake in his plans to make sure Childe stays single, now at risk of entering a new relationship.

He looks back at the tomatoes and sighs, seeing his foolishness. Taking a deep breath, he makes the decision to abandon the tomatoes, the plan now useless to him. He steps back and goes on the sidewalk, walking away.

He goes in front of the house, the path leading to his apartment complex in a 10-minute route. Halfway across the property, the front door opens, and he sees a familiar blonder hair girl.

He freezes, stunned to see Lumine as she walks out with a bag of trash, earbuds attached to her ears. He considers dashing away, not having been seen yet but it was too late.

“Oh! Uh, Zhongli, hey” Lumine said awkwardly, wincing, she takes out an earbud and approaches the classmate. Zhongli straightens up, doing his best to regain his notorious calm demeanor, but it was hard as the tension around them was so thick, it grasped his throat and choked him.

“Er- hello Lumine, I hope you are doing well on this fine evening,” Zhongli says, maintaining a stable voice.

“Y-yeah sure, it’s going well, uh got a date with Childe despite your” Lumine says before pausing. “advice” she rolls out, accentuating the “c”. Zhongli blankly stares, sweat beading. He knew he should probably apologize at this point, but he had too much pride in him and he was still dedicated to preventing the relationship.

Then a light switch turned on and he had an idea.

“Oh well, I hope you understand how awful I felt saying those words. You didn’t deserve those harsh statements thrown at you,” Zhongli said, now asking for forgiveness. Lumine tilts her head, caught off guard by the apology but she seemed to reluctantly accept it.

“O-oh I do appreciate that, um thank you,” Lumine says sweetly, giving a smile that shone brightly. Zhongli smiles back, venomously, dripping in acid.

“Oh yes, besides I’m sure you’ll be fine dealing with Childe and all of his issues,” Zhongli added quickly, planting seeds.

“W-wait what? What issues?” Lumine stuttered out, whiplashed again.

“Oh, just a few things I experienced when I was with him,” Zhongli said, looking at his nails and cleaning them by digging out the dirt in them.

“Inability to communicate, having a heart of stone and the occasional not paying for their portion of the meal when previously agreed upon,” Zhongli listed off. The last one was taken out of context from a date in which Childe forgot his wallet and Zhongli had to pay for an entire meal at a fancy restaurant. He eventually got paid back though.

“O-oh, that seems specific,” Lumine murmured, confused. Zhongli pats her shoulder, nodding his head to seem sincere.
“That’s because they’re true,” Zhongli whispered. He decided to leave the girl hanging, knowing the doubt would grow and infest her mind, causing her to lose confidence in the date before it even happened. So, he strolled on by her, saying “Oh I have to go, dinner,” while pointing at his wrist which didn’t even have a watch.

The sounds of Lumine stuttering, frozen and confused were delicious to Zhongli’s ears, a quick warmth spread in his heart, his blood boiling as he smiled at the success of his plan. Though it temporary, replaced with a cold and burdening weight of loneliness when he arrived home to no one.