Chapter 2.2

“Whoa," Lumine said, arriving at Keqing's place via a ride from Mona.

The address that Keqing gave to Lumine led the two to a large mansion. It was protected by an expansive steel gate protecting what looked like perfectly trimmed gardens and a marble fountain along with a beautiful house the size of a large school.

“Yep, Keqing is very rich or at least comes from a rich family,” Mona said bluntly. Lumine looked back at Mona's car, seeing it in a new light compared to the shining of Keqing’s mansion.

Lumine took notice of the tears in the car seat, the weariness of the steering wheel. She leaned forward and saw the chips and scratches in the car's paint. Lumine placed a glance towards the back, seeing the duct tape on the seating and even on the door a bit.

Lumine also could see stains everywhere suddenly. She looked at Mona who seemed to be staring at her feet, a sense of shame spreading into her eyes. Lumine felt guilt, worried if she is making Mona feel worse.

“Um it, not all that you know, it’s a bit basic," Lumine said, attempting to be reassuring. Mona gave a small smile, still looking at her feet.

“Let’s get inside, I’m sure two are waiting for us," Mona said. She drove the car up to the intercom and pressed a button. “Hey Keqing it’s us," Mona said into the intercom

“Okay letting you guys in now," Keqing said, then a beep rang. The large gates opened and Mona pulled into the large courtyard of the property. Lumine took notice of the many grass sculptures and the figures. Dragons, warriors, gods all sculpted and seemed to be frozen in a battle. Lumine found it interesting, wondering what it could mean.

“Alright I’m parked, let’s head inside," Mona said, surprising Lumine as she broke out of her thought stream. Lumine nodded and followed Mona toward the large entrance. Mona was about to knock but she was beaten to the chase as a butler opened the door immediately.

“Welcome to the family residence. Mona, it is nice to see you again. New fellow, please feel appropriately at home" the butler dictated. Lumine raised an eyebrow at the butler’s
“appropriately” comment but she chose to ignore it.

“Keqing is at the pool area, if you wish you can take the path outside and avoid going inside," the butler said. Mo nodded and dragged Lumine to a small dusty path from the main entrance.

“um I kind of wanted to see the insides of the place,” Lumine said, looking back.

“Trust me, that rarely happens. I have only been insides three times and I know Keqing since 3rd grade” Mona said through her grinding teeth.

“Oh, how come?” Lumine asked, worried that she already knew the reason why.

“The family does their hardest to keep commoners out. Keqing isn’t aware of this though cause she just always coincidentally outside when I come over.  Only Ganyu gets to be inside because she’s Keqing girlfriend though it’s more likely because her dad is in a high position within Keqing’s family company" Mona said bluntly. Lumine felt a wave of remorse and shame hit her spine.

Looking around her, she saw the grass sculptures again, she saw the warriors fight the dragons while the gods watched. Then looking at the large white mansion, she felt disturbed and uncomfortable.

“But why are you friends with her then?” Lumine asked, confused about the nature of Keqing and Mona’s friendship. Mona stopped and stared at Lumine's eyes with an intense passion.

“Because deep down, Keqing and Ganyu are amazing people, they have been here for me. All of this” Mona gestures towards the large mansion, “is just the family. I just aim to make them not become a product of it” Mona concludes.

Lumine nods understanding a little bit more. The two walked in silence till they reached a small gate protecting a pool that looked like it came from a suburban neighborhood. It wasn’t very flashy, rather normal pool-sized, and had that typical concrete that made it easy to slip and scrap your knees, especially as a hyperactive child.

“Before you ask, the pool design was my idea, an attempt to humble Keqing" Mona quickly states before unlatching the small metal gate and letting herself in.

“Oh, hi guys!” Ganyu called out, waving while facing Keqing who was facing away from the girls. Keqing turned and gave a smile, waving for the girls to join them.

“Hey guys, wassup," Mona said casually. Lumine felt a sense of shock, having learned so much information and see Keqing in a new light but yet seeing Keqing as a typical high school student, almost made her dizzy.

Mona has already joined the couple while Lumine was on the edge of the pool feeling a sense of confusion set into her. Ganyu had popped into Lumine’s sight, startling Lumine and breaking g her chain of thought.

“Hey you silly goose, we got work to do!” Ganyu said excitedly.

“Oh yes hehe," Lumine said half-heartedly, joining the small glass table with plastic chairs surrounding it.

“So what book are we planning to do? Or does anyone have any ideas?” Ganyu said, looking determined and examining the rubric given to them from Baizhu.

“I was thinking the Moonlit Bamboo Forest would be a good story. I remember reading a bit of it before but I got bored. Maybe it’ll be less boring with you guys reading alongside" Keqing said. Ganyu nodded, in agreement.

“Sure, why not I don’t have any other ideas," Mona said and Lumine gave a thumbs up. All four girls had agreed to their book project.

“Well thank god I have multiple copies of the book. It was an accident really, I just forgot to change the quantity in the online shopping cart from 4 to 1 after buying multiple packs of materials for something else" Keqing said, laughing a bit.

Ganyu giggled alongside while Mona smiled. Lumine didn’t react much, finding the story to be too “rich people problems” for.

“Anyway, Butler! Please get the books from the library!” Keqing shouted out and a man in a suit and tie nearby the girls rushed inside the mansion.

“Go us for being productive!” Ganyu said, smiling brightly. Keqing patted Ganyu's head.

“Yes, darling” then resting against the plastic chair she was sitting in, basking in the warm sunlight while wearing sunglasses. Mona eventually did the same while Lumine sat awkwardly again, still unsure of how to interact with the group of pretty girls.