Chapter 7.2

Sucrose begins to cough violently, surprised at the sudden abrupt explosion the chemicals had produced.

Covering her face to avoid any possible toxic fumes, she ducked away from the dangerous mixing of chemicals, going to a nearby fire extinguisher. Her eyes were tearing up despite wearing goggles and she elbowed the glass, her adrenaline kicking in. The glass breaks, giving way to the red fire extinguisher.

She knew the pain wasn’t searing right now because of the adrenaline but later it’ll be a problem, the situation not being her first rodeo.

Grabbing the extinguisher, she hurried to the small chemical fire that was growing. She pulled the throttle and immediately fell back a bit, the strong force of white foam fizzing out with thunderous strength. Eventually, the fire subsides into nothing and she opens a window to breathe out the chemicals.

She grabbed her notebook, full of notes and data entry of experiments, and headed out the door. She let out a bit of sigh, relieved to have handled the situation smoothly and not be the reason why the fire departments arrives again. She took off her goggles, rubbing at the marks left from wearing goggles for so long.

She began to head her way to the nurses’ office, feeling the pain sear through her elbow as she calms down.

Yet despite the dangerous situation that had been prevailed, her curiosity stands strong, her eyes glinting with happiness that she found an answer to her question. Opening her notebook, she begins to write down, while muttering out loud, a habit she had developed from years of writing, the results.

“When mixing hydrofluoric acid and peroxide, dangerous reaction happen. Specifically, white fumes that stung my eyes. It also created an exothermic reaction, starting a fire. Avoid doing so in the future unless in need of weaponry…” Sucrose mutters as she writes.

“Sucrose, please refrain from creating dangerous weapons, it happens to be illegal,” a familiar voice said. Sucrose gasps embarrassed to be caught by the tall blonde teacher that is Mr. Albedo.

In her eyes, Mr. Albedo was one of the greatest minds of the generation, capable of so much yet reserves himself in the high school. Sucrose always wondered why he chose to stay at the school instead of pioneering groundbreaking technology.

“I know, it’s just a possibility for the future, never know,” Sucrose chirps teasingly. She doesn’t usually make weapons or do anything dangerous with the knowledge she accumulates but she likes to write it down if the worst-case scenario the world ends happens.

“Alright sure,” Mr. Albedo says, disbelief staining his words. Sucrose giggles amused at his concern. Ever since arriving at the high school, she had grown to idolize and get to know the science teacher, learning more and always asking questions about topics.

The teacher claimed they knew a lot of her questions, yet never answers them, saying she should learn and experiment on her own because experience is the best way to learn in his words.

“I assume you elbowed the glass to get to the fire extinguisher again, hence you’re heading to the infirmary,” Mr. Albedo deduced. 

“Yeah,” Sucrose said defeatedly.

“I hope that fire extinguisher isn’t empty, don’t want something bad happening,” Mr. Albedo said with concern.

“Don’t fret sir, I keep track before every experiment, making sure I won’t get into a potential school threatening situation,” Sucrose reassures.

“Alright good to know, anyway hurry up to the infirmary, study period will be over soon,” Mr. Albedo said. Sucrose nods and Mr. Albedo begins to walk faster ahead of her, heading elsewhere.

Suddenly he stops, turning around to say something else, “Also the decathlon is in two months, be ready for the science fair!”

Sucrose chokes startled by the news.

Her mind goes wild, full of questions, but Mr. Albedo heads off, disappearing around a corner before Sucrose could respond. As much as she loved the teacher, she had to admit his ability to leave the conversation open-ended did annoy her.

She eyes the sign saying “Infirmary” and enters through the door, her mind clouded with questions.

“Decathlon? That hasn’t happened in a few years, when was it announced?”

“Science fair? Meaning I’ll have to come up with an idea and make an object out of it, or does it need to be a concept?”

“Who’ll be judging the fair?”

“When is the fair?”

“Will Sumeru Academia prep join?”

“Or Fontaine prep?”

“What is the prize for first place?”

“Is it money?”

She stuns, having already sat down on a bed while the nurse just arrives with some gaze. The nurse was familiar with the green-haired girl getting hurt from experiments, knowing that she wouldn’t be very responsive, yet subconsciously wrap the gaze around herself.

Sucrose kept help but wonder about the prize, potentially being money. While inventing and science is her passion and she would never normally worry about her work is the best or flashy, she did need money. Her heart clings to see her mom, who still lived in Mondstadt due to her job keeping her there.

In the past, they made up for it by visiting each other every now and then but since her mom couldn’t afford a trip out to visit her last break, she worried she won’t see her mom for a long time. It stung a lot, learning and doing so much yet unable to show her mom other than phone calls or laggy video calls.

She bit the gaze, tearing it off and finishing the wrap on her arm. Handing the roll of gaze back to the nurse, she got up and began to head her way out, pondering on what to do let alone how the whole science fair will work.
Grabbing her phone out, she began to type a reminder, even though she probably won’t need it.

“Go to Mr. Albedo’s office hours, get answers for decathlon”