Chapter 5.8

Rosaria paced around her room, lost in a maze of confusion. What would have been a normal day for her have changed abruptly because of one question. One question that made her fear a lot of things. Looking up at her wall, she saw a poster that Alice once made of Barbra, to help spread merch and give Barbra a taste of the idol life. She only made a limited amount of the poster, but Rosaria easily got one as Barbra’s bodyguard.

She sighed, seeing Barbra’s smile and energy being displayed, frolicking in a field that Alice spent an entire day with Barbra taking pictures of her. Rosaria was able to tag along, remembering how happy and excited Barbra was. She loved being an idol, and now Rosaria feared she was going to hurt that by joining forces with Xinyan.

Her heart pumped, looking at her phone. Then the poster of Barbra. Then all the CDs she has of punk rock, music that she always secretly wanted to play with the bass skills she has. Then she looked back at her phone and repeat. She felt stuck, unable to decide, and conflicted.

Swallowing, she dashed out the door. In a moment of pure impulse, she dashed out of her house and headed towards the agency where Barbra was busy practicing. Rosaria knew her schedule, as her bodyguard and she had a feeling that Barbra was going to singing around this point.

She continued to sprint down the street, then turn a corner and sprint some more. She used to be on track, so she was fairly good at running. Dashing down the streets, she passed down the many houses, swooping by and ignoring but avoiding any pedestrians.

Eventually, she reached the agency, a small one-floor building that edges downtown urban areas of the Genshin District. She was about to enter the building before she stopped. She suddenly felt her bones try to collapse, bringing her down almost. Her hands-on her knees and bending, the tall goth girl was huffing loudly, coughing a bit. Her face showed the slightest hint of red, which with her severely pale skin, it was more of a pink.

After recovering some stamina, she entered the building, nervous. She wanted to discuss with Barbra what Xinyan offered and let her decide instead.

Rosaria passed the hallways which had chipped painted and some parts of it had the wood sticking out. The building was clearly old when Alice bought it, wanting to refurbish it but she never got around to it. Rosaria saw the many posters that Alice hung up, multiple copies of the same thing when the stock never got sold out, which happened a surprising number of times.

As Rosaria walked down the dimly lit hallway in which Alice forgets to change the lightbulbs, she hears singing. Barbra’s singing. Rosaria could hear the song vibrate through the thin walls, as Barbra sings, putting energy into it while maintaining breathing and pitch.

The song was something along the lines of love or being yourself, Rosaria didn’t know and didn’t care enough. All she wanted to hear was Barbra’s singing, her harmonic and angelic voice that soothed her. She leaned against the wall, letting her singing cloud her mind, basking in it.

Eventually, the song ended, and Rosaria had to get up, needing to focus on what was important. She lightly knocked on the door, surprising Barbra.

“OH! Oh, it's you, Rosaria, come on in,” Barbra said, gently inviting her. Rosaria nodded and entered the practice room. She saw the single speaker that Alice bought, being connected to Barbra’s phone that played the songs. She could see the wall mirrors, one of them being cracked when Alice bought the building. Then Rosaria cast her eyes on Barbra, who was idly standing, confused but cutely so.

“Is something wrong Rosaria?” Barbra asked.

“Oh no, well I mean-” Rosaria said, stuttering her words. She felt scared, worried about how Barbra would feel. She didn’t want to betray years’ worth of friendship for one talent show. So, she swallowed her nervousness and spat it out.

“Xinyan offered me to play bass for her performance!” Rosaria exclaimed quickly. Barbra knits her eyebrows, confused. Rosaria stands awkwardly, feeling slightly bad. Then Barbra laughed.

“Oh! that’s what you’re so nervous about, sure you can play for her,” Barbra said bluntly. Rosaria cracked a bit, confused.

“S-so you’re not worried about it? not worried that I’m ruining your dreams, and becoming another obstacle to you being an idol,” Rosaria asked, letting out all of her thoughts on the table. Barbra giggles a bit, going up to Rosaria and giving her a shoulder rub.

“Rosaria, you really shouldn’t have to fret so much over this. I do sometimes worry you are overworking on bodyguarding me and missing out on your own life, “Barbra says. Rosaria had to admit that bodyguarding Barbra did give her less time to make other friends but at the same time, she made a wonderful friend with Barbra, the two becoming thick as blood.

“Oh, okay. But I’m worried that I am hurting your chances at winning,” Rosaria said, mumbling.

“Rosaria, it’s a talent show, there’s barely a prize and it more for Alice to find talent for the group. It’s not a big deal if I don’t get first,” Barbra said. Rosaria nodded, understanding.

“Alright, um good luck with training today,” Rosaria awkwardly says, leaving. Barbra waves goodbye, smiling as always. As Rosaria walks down the awful hallways, she hears Barbra play another song and begins to sing.

In the distance, Barbra’s melodic voice cries out, a song about love or heartbreak, all while Rosaria texts Xinyan that she’ll help and play bass for her.