Chapter 10.7

Heart racing, she haphazardly puts mascara on her lids, nearly poking her eyes out. Teen pop music played in a Bluetooth speaker behind her in an attempt to make things livelier and more festive. She didn’t know any of the songs and the lyrics kept blasting and adding to a rock pile on her shoulders.

Next, she adds eyeliner, following a tutorial she found online about prom makeup since she wasn’t super experienced in makeup and only knew a minimal and more day-to-day amount of make-up skills.

She holds her breath, making sure the liner is straight and curves nicely, not wanting it to look messy. She also didn’t want to puncture her eye out before her prom date, fearing Childe won’t like the sight of her in the hospital.

“KNOCK KNOCK” someone screams out, scaring the soul out of Lumine as she thankfully drops the eyeliner, opposed to simply jamming it up her eye socket.

“ARCHONS! Don’t fucking shout that out!” Lumine curses, knowing the preparator very well.

“Ha-ha, got ya” Aether smirks, walking into Lumine’s room and lying on her bed. She scrunches her nose, annoyed already. “Ew, your bed is so gross,”

Aether comments, taking notice of the lack of tidiness and the abundance of chip bags Lumine kept leaving. She’d been having a bad day, resulting in binge eating a particular brand of chips.

“Gee-golly fuck you too,” Lumine snaps back harshly, not in the mood. She sighs, then glancing at her brother, mutters a quick apology before picking up her eyeliner and trying again. She stares intently at herself in the vanity mirror, grateful that her twin turned off the music. The silence finally let her concentrate, eyeing down the spots and being able to take it slow. Eventually, she finishes the eyeliner, finishing the make-up.

“So, how do I look?” Lumine asks, turning around to face Aether.

“Like a hag,” Aether quickly retorts, earning a middle finger from Lumine. He chuckles before concluding, “you look good, don’t worry,” reassuring Lumine.

Then she suddenly remembers that she hadn’t heard anything about Aether and his date to prom, having been so busy with Childe.

“Oh wait, who’s your date?” Lumine asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Oh yea, originally I was going to go alone and just hang with friends, but someone asked me out, wanna guess who?” Aether said. Lumine rolled her eyes and then tried to think of all the potential people who would ask out Aether.

“Uh, Noelle?” She starts. Aether shakes his head. “Uh, Sucrose?” Aether once again shakes his head. Lumine gives up and asks, “Okay then who?”

“Arataki Itto,” Aether announces. Lumine pauses for a beat, trying to remember who that was. Then it clicked and her head shot up.

“Wait! You mean that giant Inazuman student?” Lumine exclaimed. She has seen and heard about the student, being a former wrestler in training before moving to the Genshin District but she never had the chance to talk to him.

“W-what how? When? I-I have so many questions” Lumine stuttered, confused.

“We had talked a little bit now and then, occasionally in hallways, also helps that we’re in the same soccer club. Anyway, one day he just asked me out and I was like ‘okay’ not processing it. But yet, he’s hot so it could be fun,” Aether recounts. Lumine’s jaw remains open, confused at the odd pairing. Of all the people in eh school, Lumine wouldn’t have expected the giant Inazuman student to ask out Aether.

“C-congratulations I guess,” Lumine replies, still unable to process it.

“Thanks, anyway, Childe’s here,” Aether says, pointing out the window where Childe stood with a bouquet, wearing a dapper suit. Lumine’s heart clutched, finding the scene to be so romantic and cheesy but she didn’t care, loving it.