Chapter 9.3

Alone in the library, Yae Miko thinks idly, trying to construct a speech for her campaign. After signing up and joining the hot girl trio in their plan to rule the Student Council, she decided to work hard and make a good speech. Except she didn’t know what to say.

She hasn’t been at the school for very long and most of that time has been with Inazuman friends. She doesn’t know most of her classmates and feels slightly isolated from them. She doesn’t get all the stories or inside jokes, doesn’t see why they groan and complain about certain things.

She doesn’t feel a part of the school. While the hot girl trio inviting her into their plan was interesting and including, it wasn’t enough, and she didn’t even feel a part of them. So being reminded of her loneliness, she sat alone, stooping in her sadness as she misses and clings to Ei and Sara.

Looking around the library, she sees the librarian, wearing her large floppy purple hat, two boys that kept blushing whenever they glanced at the other, and a lovey-dovey lesbian couple who were allegedly reading books only to occasionally make out. Yae Miko didn’t understand any of the people, finding them all boring and feeling indifferent.

“Hey Miko, wassup,” a familiar voice said. Yae Miko arches an eyebrow, turning around to see it was Mona. The astrologist girl of the trio, bearing an oversized black shirt, tucked into the vintage-looking jeans that hugged her waist. Yae Miko felt like rolling her eyes, not wanting to discuss what sign she was with the girl.

“Hello Mona,” Yae Miko says, glancing back at her computer, hoping inspiration would strike. It never did.

“So, making a speech I see,” Mona says, looking at where Yae Miko’s were directed at.

“Yes, might as well get it over with,” Yae Miko says sharply, wishing the girl would leave. Yet she never did.

“Well sure yeah, or you could just have Ganyu write one for you and read it. Keqing says the speech doesn’t have to matter so much,” Mona says. Yae Miko remembers the offer, feeling bad at the idea of using Ganyu’s work and claiming it as her own.

The idea of plagiarism and cheating as punishable deeds was always reinforced in her as a child, a way to make sure that the future of the Narukami shrine wasn’t a cheater.

“I could but isn’t it better if I bring some effort to the plan instead,” Yae Miko says, not wanting to explain her whole background and how the one time she tried to cheat led to her hands being tied down and smacked at her 30 minutes by a stick. She winces, rubbing her hands together at the memory.

“Sure, I guess, but you seem bored right now,” Mona says. The foxy girl shrugs, unable to argue against that.  “Since school is over, why don’t we go shopping?” Mona offers.

Yae Miko pauses, confused. She heard the rumors of Mona being poor, so she was confused on why she of all people would offer to shop.

“And before you ask, I don’t mean going to the mall, rather we’ll go somewhere special to shop,” Mona says, confusing Yae Miko even more.

“Is it a thrift shop?” Yae Miko asks, remembering the dusty stores filled with crappy used clothing and way too much glassware than needed. She shutters, remembering the creepy old man who followed her around in the store.

“Uh sort of, like a better and more private one,” Mona hints. Yae Miko looks back at her computer and then at Mona, deciding. She chose Mona.

“Sure, why not?”.

“Hurray, let's go,” Mona exclaims, grabbing Yae Miko’s wrist and taking her away, thankfully was able to pack up her stuff before leaving the library.