Chapter 7.4

Yanfei sat alone in the library, cross-checking books and entire encyclopedias for information.

According to the materials and presentations regarding the decathlon, the debate subject would have a team of four from each school to represent an argument. Yanfei decided to utilize her debate skills and simply write arguments for both sides on the topic of Emotion v Logic. Currently, she was looking at historical moments when leaders made decisions based on emotions or logic, taking notes, etc.

She was extremely grateful for the fact she had an extra month of preparation, being able to get ahead of her fellow students at school and shine. She knew that it would look good for colleges if she got topped one of the highest debaters at her school, even better if she beats the Sumerians.

She did have to admit that while Fontaine is notorious for its intense legal system, it was also a nation that had a similar education system to other nations except Sumeru, so it wasn’t on her list of worries. Fontaine prep may be a good school, but it was still relatively normal compared to Genshin High or Sumeru Academia prep.

Her eyes lazily glanced over the text, examining for anything that may prove of value for her argument. As a child, she did enjoy lengthy discussions and bringing in thought-provoking topics, so debating was a natural progression and interest that came to be. Whenever she argued for the debate club, she would always start with history, seeing how things have been done historically and moving forward there.

It helped add a layer to her argument and brings conviction.

Then in the distance, her ears perk up, hearing someone cry out. Yanfei stretched out her neck, leaning back and seeing a figure appear in the dark corners of the library shelves. Suddenly Yanfei hears fluttering and cawing. She gasps, realizing it was a bird, specifically Fischl’s bird.  

“Wait, Oz! Fischl needs you!” a familiar figure said, her voice ringing a bell in Yanfei’s head.

“Hu Tao”

A girl with bright mischievous eyes, wearing an oversized hoodie and shorts, cute ghosts’ pins decorating her hair, popped out of the darkness, her hands reaching out for Oz.

“Ack, Oz” Hu Tao exclaimed, crying out for the midnight bird. The bird kept on flying away, perching itself on a bookshelf high above. Yanfei herself froze for a moment, seeing Hu Tao appear. In the past, whenever seeing the girl, she had felt a slight flutter in her heart, admiring the girl’s appearance and fond of her beautiful hair. She wanted to touch her hair, but she always avoided doing so, never seeing romance or crushes as a priority.

“Um, hey Yanfei, I’m sure you’re busy studying, but can you get me a ladder?” Hu Tao said, huffing, out of breath. She pointed to the large bird which was still sitting on the higher shelves of the huge bookshelf.

“O-oh okay,” Yanfei says, realizing the two rarely interacted. She gulped, nervously grabbing a nearby ladder, and bringing it over.

“Okay thanks,” Hu Tao said, gratefully nodding and smiling at Yanfei. Her smile struck Yanfei’s heart a bit, finding it cute and sweet, yet having the appealing hidden layer of so much more. Hu Tao grabbed the ladder and placed nearby the bird as softly as possible. With a big breath, she climbed up the ladder, as softly as possible, not wanting to disturb Oz.

Reaching the bird at the same shelf, she leaned over a bit to let the bird perch on her arm. Then in the distance, someone cries out loudly, with another voice exclaiming, “RAZOR!”. The sudden noise set off Oz and sent him down from the shelf and out flying.

Yanfei groaned seeing the large bird escape but then she looked up and saw Hu Tao struggling.

“Ah!” Hu Tao cried out, falling off the ladder. With the instincts she developed from Beidou’s pe class, she rushed forward to catch Hu Tao. Except the lawyer girl was smaller than Hu Tao, so it ended up with her being a cushion for her.