Chapter 7.10

“Hey mom, I missed your voice,” Sucrose said, feeling her body warm up by hearing her mother’s familiar voice.

A security blanket she missed while she was busy inventing her product.

“Hey sweetie, I missed you too. How has been decathlon?” Sucrose's mother asks. In the background, she could hear moving sounds and glasses clinking.

She must be unloading her dishwasher.

“REALLY GOOD!” Sucrose exclaims, happy to break the good news.

“Oh? How so?” her mother asks, rather clueless.

“For starters, my product was a success, able to work how I wished for it to work,” Sucrose says. The tree sap was able to work and mix well with the substance, making it easy for the preservative to prevent aging and stick to the apple, while still keeping the fruit edible.

“Amazing! I’m so proud of you! I know that you are smart and can do a lot in life and this just-" her mother rambles, ready to go into a supporting rant for Sucrose but the young girl quickly stopped her.

“But there MORE!” Sucrose exclaims.
“More?” Her mother asks, her voice spiking in confusion.

“Yes, I won the science fair!” Sucrose announces. She could still remember the nervousness that immediately got overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness when the judges announced she was the winner. She was nervous, seeing the Fontaine prep students hold cool products and ideas but yet she was able to rise above and win.

When she asked the judges what made her stand, curious. They said her product was not only effective but very practical and useful for day-to-day life. Sucrose beamed at the last comment, grateful since she always wanted to bring a helpful difference to the world.

“Oh, my goodness! What do you win then?” her mother asks, clearly having forgotten their last conversation discussing the decathlon.

“A lot of really cool things actually. For starters I get a hundred thousand more,” Sucrose says. Her mother gasps, going quiet for a moment. “Mom! Are you alright?” Sucrose asks, worried suddenly.

“Y-yeah I was just surprised at the large sum, I guess now we don’t have to worry about you missing trips,” her mother says, chuckling. Sucrose smiles, grateful but there was more.

“Also, my product will get investments and be sent to a company that will mass produce the invention for the general population, and I’ll just reap in the rewards,” Sucrose adds.

“O-oh my, that’s no small feat. Do you think it’ll sell well?” her mother frets.

“I was nervous at first but the judges claimed the invention was very well made and so practical that they knew with a good marketing team, the product will sell out,” Sucrose says, remembering what the judges told her after she was awarded the prizes.

“Wow, I uh, Sucrose that’s amazing. I guess we won’t have to worry about moving for a while,” her mother says, very stunned.

“Yes, mom," Sucrose says, slightly choking up. No longer will she have to fear starving at the end of the month or budget her way to living. Now she could rest more easily and be able to experiment and continue her passions.

“I’m just so proud of you and I’m speechless, I-" Sucrose’s mother says, pausing as the young girl could hear sobs. Her heart wrenched, feeling guilty for making her cry.

“Mom, don’t cry, it’s all good,” Sucrose consoles.

“I-I’m fine, I’m just so happy right now,” her mother chokes out. Sucrose feels her eyes water up, wishing to be right with her mother.

“Next three-day weekend, I’ll be visiting you, promise,” Sucrose promises.

“I hope so, I do,” her mother says.

“Love you mom, I have to go,” Sucrose says, sadden to see that her interaction has to end.

“Love you too darling, stay safe and eat well,” her mother says, hanging up right after.

“Bye,” Sucrose whispers, even though the call ended. It felt short but she knew she needed to get back to school, the study period almost ending.

Looking around, smiles, happy to be where she was at the moment. She knew there were rough moments but they all triumph to the joy of hearing she won, getting ice cream courtesy of Mr. Albedo and seeing her bank account filled with money, numbers higher than she has ever seen.

Life really felt like it was going up on a graph.