Chapter 7.6

Xingqiu groaned, annoyed at his typical routine of studying. Whenever he got home, he would go straight to his room to avoid his parents piling a bunch of chores onto him. So locked in his room, he’ll just study, aiming to get good grades and get the hell away from his parents.

Once in Sumeru, he could easily avoid his parents and just live his life. New country meant new chances and opportunities in life.

Yet at the moment, the promise of a new life separated from his parents didn’t feel very promising, looking at his geometry homework. His head ached from looking at shapes and words, telling him to find x or something.

He tripped his pencil, raising it and acting as if he’ll write something down or solve the problem. But then he gave up, feeling dejected, and just dropped the pencil accidentally on the ground.

Wasting time, he got out of his seat slowly and picked the pencil up, as slowly as possible.

With his ears near the ground, slowly picking the pencil up, he heard something. Shouting. He looked out of his window and saw his parents' car arrive. Then once he stood up straight, he could still hear shouting, getting louder.

“Great they’re fighting,” Xingqiu realizes, sensing his parents must be arguing over something again. He didn’t enjoy hearing them fight, since it got loud and personal, something he didn’t want to hear or witness.

Glancing at his window, he makes the bold decision to just do the homework later, and just sneak out. He had done it before, sneak out when things got tough in the household.

“OH PLEASE, your dick-" his mom shouts.

“Okays let’s go now,” Xingqiu muttered, ignoring g the shouting since he didn’t want to hear the disturbingly personal parts of his parents. He unlocked the window, after quickly locking his door.

Stepping out carefully, he crawls down the roof and climbs down the small ladder he kept up on the roof. Despite his parents’ obsession with cleanliness, they couldn’t afford a cleaning staff over the years due to his parent's decline in their businesses.

So Xingqiu was left to make sure the house was clean, a stressful task when also expected to Ace all exams in the same week. He shudders, remembering the winter party they held last year, around the same time as his final exams.

The ladder was placed in a specific place on the roof that he knew his parents couldn’t see. They also never go on the roof in general so it was especially hidden and he used it when sneaking out.

Xingqiu crawled down the ladder and began to head off in a certain direction. Whenever he would sneak off, he would just take a stroll around town, or maybe if he brought his wallet, get a bite at Wanmin restaurant. But right now, he had a goal in mind.

He wanted to see his pale blue-haired friend, Chongyun, likely at his house. Xingqiu felt his heartbeat race at the thought of his crush, just chilling on his bed.

Knowing Chongyun’s house by heart, he dashed over there. He never knew why Chongyun took a car to get to his house, only being a mere 3.5 miles to reach him.

Eventually, Xingqiu reached Chongyun’s house. Feeling delirious from a run that was severely underestimated, and knowing what window was the boy’s bedroom, he grabbed a rock and flung it at the window.

Then he breathed a bit and remembered he had a phone. His face paled as he could hear a slight crack from the window. The window didn’t seem shattered but there was a crack on it now.

Chongyun’s face appeared in the windowpane, clearly annoyed. He opened the window and began to shout.

“XINGQIU! WHAT THE HELL!” Chongyun shouted, furious at him. Xingqiu gave a bashful wave, embarrassed of almost breaking his crush's window.