Chapter 12.2

Taking a deep breath, the air smelled familiar, like home. It brought tears to his eyes, in Ritou and seeing the familiar Sakura trees that clouded his childhood.

“Home,” Kazuha said, his eyes pricking with tears as he looked around, seeing every day Inazumans walk around. It had been numerous years since he had been in his homeland, having left due to an opportunity to explore the world, but yet unable to return when the country went into lockdown and the uprising happened.

Spending many years away, nervously hearing small midgets of news regarding the lockdown and events that took place, wrung him out dry, fearing every day for his loved ones.

Eventually, the country opened up and the whole world heard the story of what happened in the past few years.

From the corruption of the former president to the uprising to the tragic death of Makoto, the nation’s sweetheart, leading to the fall of the former president. A new presidency took place and the country moved forward to restore back to glory and honor. Kazuha couldn’t say he missed Inazuma if he was fully honest now when he first heard of the news, terrified to imagine living in the political chaos.

Walking down the streets of the skyscraping island city, Ritou, a bustling merchant city, booming with business all day every day. He examined his surroundings, appreciating the nearby park that had lovely spiraling architecture for its gate, luring in people to enjoy it. He would’ve allowed himself to be lured and enter the park if it wasn’t for Beidou barking behind him.

“Kazuha! We need to go!” she shouted out, bringing attention from the nearby locals. Kazuha flamed, embarrassed to be arousing such attention, it made him feel like a tourist, seeming out of place even though he is very much Inazuman.

“Okay, okay,” Kazuha muttered, heading back to his guardian. Beidou promised earlier in the year that during summer, the two could go to Inazuma, which was funded by Ningguang, Beidou’s sugar mommy.

Kazuha joined with Beidou who had snagged a taxi to take them out of the city and to Konda village, where Kazuha spent his childhood growing up. He felt a pang of excitement grow in his chest, unable to believe he’ll finally see his family again for the first in ages.

Earlier in the year, they had the chance to call each other when the lockdown ended but now, he could hug them, feeling their familial warmth.

The taxicab drives them out of the city, Kazuha leaning his face against the glass as he looked at Ritou once more, seeing new market stalls, new parks, and new buildings. He was saddened though that he couldn’t find all the old buildings that he remembered from his childhood whenever he visited the city, assuming the political turmoil had driven certain companies to bankruptcy, etc.

Sooner or later, the taxicab went on the large bridge, bypassing the waters and crossing onto mainland Narukami Island, the capital island of Inazuma. In the far distance, he could see the tall Mt. Yougou, home to the illustrious Grand Narukami Shrine. Seeing the mountain sent a chill down Kazuha’s spine as he remembered spending time with his old friend there during the holidays.

“Tomo wait for me!” Kazuha cried out, catching up to a young boisterous boy who kept on running up the steps. Taking deep breaths, Kazuha tried to hurry up, not wanting to lose sight of his friend.

“Catch me if you can,” Tomo said, sticking out his tongue as he dashed up the steps, not even breaking a sweat. Kazuha grunted, marching up forward, but eventually, he made it up to the top, seeing Tomo. Tomo stood in awe, looking around at the beautiful sight that was the Grand Narukami Shrine.

Sakura trees brought down lovely Sakura blossoms, creating a magical pink aesthetic throughout the shrine.

The stars shined brightly high above thanks to the mountains removed presence from the city’s light pollution. The sight behind them showed the six islands, Tsurumi being the farthest and hardest, yet its outline was visible from the shrine.