Chapter 2.13

Chongyun’s stomach was on fire, something he didn’t like because it would affect his condition as his body increased its temperature. Nonetheless, he was nervous.

He stood outside the school building, waiting for Xingqiu, who was busy in the writing club. He knew that Xingqiu would leave the building sooner or later and he would walk to his car and head home, but he planned to interrupt that. He has been wanting to talk to Xingqiu, tell him what he heard, and such.

Chongyun had spent some days pondering on whether or not he should talk about his parents’ strictness, feeling that maybe it’s a line of privacy he shouldn’t cross but at the same time he worries that Xingqiu will feel worse especially if he has no one to talk about it. So Chongyun has built up the courage and planned to intercept Xingqiu and talk to him.

He wanted to avoid doing it over text so he can tell if Xingqiu is telling the truth or not along. Also, to be with Xingqiu physically in case it got emotional.

Chongyun saw the writing club window lights go off, indicating that it was over. He heard chattering from the inside of the school building, growing louder as students exit the building from their clubs and activities. Chongyun wiped his palm sweat on his hands, gulping a bit as his nervousness increase. He could feel a seeping red warmth rise in his body, his head going a bit woozy, but he knew he needed to stay in control.

Chongyun isn’t one for emotions or talking about serious topics as he gets uncomfortable and nervous, which increases his body temperature and makes him drowsy and peculiar. He had heard stories of what he was like when he loses control, and he always fears it because it was something. he wasn’t conscious for or at least doesn’t remember. He would eat something spicy and then find himself the next day in a bed of some kind, hospital, his own, or a friend’s and it always freaked him out a bit.

Chongyun eyes darted quickly, seeing Xingqiu behind some students, talking to Yanfei, the school’s wannabe lawyer.

“Yeah and I said you can’t sue someone because you don’t like them Diluc, that’s not how it works,” Yanfei said, recounting some story while Xingqiu giggled.

“Hi Yanfei, but can I borrow my friend from you” Chongyun quickly said, his words stumbling out a bit too quick. Yanfei jumped a bit, surprised to see Chongyun who was hiding in the shade to cool down.

“Uh sure, I mean I don’t own him and like free will dude,” Yanfei said, flashing a quick peace sign before walking down to her car. Xingqiu arched an eyebrow, surprised to see Chongyun.

“Hey buddy, what’s wrong, why are you so flush?” Xingqiu said, seeming to have noticed Chongyun’s blush. Chongyun shrugged the question off quickly, dragging Xingqiu to a corner for some privacy. His breath grew ragged, but he maintained control. He just wished for once he could go through an emotional conversation without growing drowsy.

“W-we need to talk,” Chongyun said, to ease Xingqiu’s confusion. Xingqiu went along with Chongyun’s antics.

Eventually, the two reached a private enough corner, which thankfully was the end of the school day as most students had already left so they were alone. Chongyun took a deep breath and cleared his mind.

“I overheard a conversation between you and your parents last time I visited your house” Chongyun bluntly said, wanting to destress a bit and hopefully ease off the warm body temperature.

Xingqiu froze, caught off guard by the topic. Chongyun watched Xingqiu’s face changed expressions many times, contorting from a drenching shame, sly confidence, and finally a defeated sadness.

“O-oh and,” Xingqiu said, seeming unsure of what to say, his arms hugging himself while his face fell and grew pale.

“I-I just want to be there for you simply, I don’t want you to get hurt,” Chongyun said, bluntly once more. His heart raced as he saw Xingqiu look sad and upset, emotions he's not used to seeing Xingqiu portray but he persisted.

“Y-you don’t need to do that” Xingqiu said, not looking at Chongyun in the eyes. Chongyun let out a breath of exasperation, feeling disappointed by the response.

“Xingqiu!” Chongyun said a bit too loudly, having gotten too mad to control, his emotions unraveling as his body temperature rise.

“We’ve known each other for years, and in those years, you have seen me at my worst, having been there for me when I lost control.”

Chongyun said, remembering all the times he would awaken and see Xingqiu by his side, and he would recount what happened and bring a sense of control for Chongyun, something Chongyun loved. Tears were forming a bit while Xingqiu looked down, his aura growing in regret and shame.

“So when I heard you get scolded severely for something ridiculous, and yet it was something you’ve been dealing with all your life, I was scared! So please, don’t shut me out and let me there for you!” Chongyun exclaimed, his tears reaching his chin and dripping onto the pavement below him. Xingqiu gulped and looked at Chongyun right in the eyes.

Chongyun could see the red in his eyes, Xingqiu not allowing tears to fall. Xingqiu gulped a bit, his body awakening from an emotional freeze.

“I-I really appreciate that Chongyun, I’ll try to reach you if I do feel um” Xingqiu hesitated at his words as if scared to say it. “awful or worse,” he said bluntly, letting his mouth spat it out. Chongyun nodded, grateful for what would progress.

Then his eyes roll into the back of his head as he passes out, heat filling his face and he could hear Xingqiu’s panic noises as he tries to catch him before he falls to the ground.