Chapter 4.9

Sayu’s felt her heartbeat rise as she saw the familiar trees and grass from her homeland. She dashed away from her parents who were also mesmerized by the Inazuma Park and hurried to the trees. She felt waves of nostalgia crashing onto her as she climbs up the trees with ease. The trunk felt the same as in Inazuma, sturdy and soft, smelling of blossoms.

She kept on climbing as people walked to the park, enjoying the scenery and getting food that was catered. Sayu reached a long branch, testing it to make sure it was sturdy enough to support her weight. She felt it stay strong despite intense lulling and she laid on the branch, looking up at the night sky.

The trees felt comfy, making her want to sleep, if not live in the trees. But it became rather difficult to sleep as a crowd of people chattered and party while music plays loudly. She sighs, deciding that she’ll sleep another day.

Looking up and past the trees, she sees the stars. She had spent a long time looking at the stars, noticing familiar constellations, and being able to track them at times. But here they all seemed new and unfamiliar. In response, her body shakes, nervous at the constant that was now changed.

“HEY!” a voice cries out. Sayu jumps a bit, she would’ve fallen off the branch if she wasn’t used to lying on branches for long periods. She looked down and saw three kids all crowding around the tree. The voice belonged to the one girl wearing red clothing who was in her class.

“Hey! I know you!” the girl cried out. Another girl, with pink hair, rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, she’s in our class,” the pink-haired girl said.

“Yeah! The cool ninja girl!” the red girl said.

“I forgot," the third girl said, with purple hair.

Sayu stood up on the branch, looking g down and u sure of what to do. She never talked to them and rarely let her face get shown in class, so she was surprised to see them call out for her.

“How did you get up there?” the red-clothed girl said. Sayu froze, unsure if she should talk back to them or just hideaway in the forest. Looking around, she felt a sense of calm and ease, deciding to take a risk and interact.

“Um, I’m good at climbing I guess,” Sayu responded. She was unsure of how to explain her training from her grandpa, so she just dumbed it down a bit.

“Cool! I wish I was good" the red clothing girl said.

“Klee, you would break a bone,” the pink hair girl said.

“I would break a bone,” the purple-haired girl said timidly.

“No! I wouldn’t and I believe in you Qiqi!” Klee said, giving a hug to Qiqi. The pink hair girl scoffed. Then she glanced at the hug and joined them, muttering. Sayu found the scene sweet and felt jealous of the friend’s bond with one another.

The group eventually broke their hug and returned their attention to Sayu who still was watching them. Then Klee looked at her friends and smiled widely.

“Do you wish to join us?” Klee said, her eyes glinting with curiosity and joy. Sayu heard a microphone boom and someone talking but at the moment, she was focused on the three girls, surprised someone wanted to be her friend. She nodded, jumping down with a force that startled the pink hair girl.

“Hehe such a scaredy-cat now Diona,” Klee said, snickering a bit. Diona rolled her eyes, regaining composure.

“Yeah, I’ll join you guys," Sayu said, cool, not wanting to seem too clingy. She didn’t have many human friends back in Inazuma so she wasn’t entirely sure how to act around her peers.

“Cool!” Klee exclaimed, grabbing Sayu’s hand and dragging her by her side as the group of four began to play around the park.

A few minutes later, Sayu looked back at the sky of different stars, wincing at them.

BOOM! CRACKLE! BOOM!

The sky roared with bright fleeting colors, surprising Sayu. She gasped, the rest of her new friends facing up in the sky now. They all ooh and awe at the shiny colors. Sayu felt better, seeing a tradition of her homeland, no longer seeing the skies as unfamiliar.