Chapter 10.3

“Mona!” Lumine calls out, aiming for the attention of her friend. Since the semester group project, she had gotten a bit closer to the three girls she worked with, Mona being the closest.

Though she wasn’t always one to hang out with the group, usually going solo.

She did notice Yae Miko, the pink-haired Inazuma student, joining the trio at lunch and even accompanying them in rides to elsewhere.

“What Lumine?” Mona asks, peaking her head from around her locker. Lumine reaches the astrologist girl, giggling like a maniac. “Why do you sound like you’re going insane?” Mona asks, confused and bearing a concerned look with her face.

“It-it’s just I have discovered something new,” Lumine teases, her heart racing a bit at the thought. The tall ginger that had captured her heart, a few days had passed since she decided to try to go to prom with him, hopefully sparking something more.

“Oh! So, have I!” Mona says excitedly, interrupting Lumine. “I’ve been hanging out with the new Inazuman student, Scaramouche. If I’m being honest, he’s pretty hot,” Mona says, whispering a bit. Lumine arches an eyebrow, surprised to see the fellow friend having been shot by Cupid’s arrow.

“Oh really?” Lumine responds, intrigued.

“Yeah, I mean my horoscope said that I’ll find love soon and it came TRUE!” Mona says, exclaiming. “He’s been charming and sweet, I probably shouldn’t get too attached, but you know, it's nice to feel something other than boredom and emptiness,” Mona adds, mumbling the last part out.

Lumine’s eyes softened, happy for her friend.

“Aw Mona, well this new love interest sure is interesting, I feel like you’ve changed a bit even,” Lumine says, noticing the more extroverted side to Mona. In all of her time, Lumine had never seen Mona smile so much, it felt odd, but in a good way.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Mona murmurs, fiddling her thumbs before raising her head, meeting her eyes to Lumine’s.

“So, what were you going to tell me?” Mona asks.

“Yes! I-I also have found someone I want to date and”

“Wait WHAT!” Mona shouts out, shocked. Lumine takes a step back, her ears hurting from Mona’s reaction.

“Who?” Mona says, eager. Lumine chuckles, happy to see her friend so earnest.

“Er, Childe,” Lumine whispers, blushing madly. She could feel the tip of her ears emit heat, making her squirm more.

“No way,” Mona replies. Lumine nods.

“W-wow, but didn’t you say he was annoying before?” Mona asks. Lumine nods, remembering a time when talking to the trio that she called Childe annoying.

“Yeah, but you know, over time I’ve found him kind of cute and sweet, so eager and excited about everything. It's adorable,” Lumine explains, her heart racing at the thought of an excited Childe rushing up to her, with a bouquet, wanting to give her all the attention in the world. It just made Lumine go dizzy, warmed by such a thought.

“Oh, that’s cute, well are you going to ask him on a date or?” Mona asks.

“I mean, I want to get to know him more, so I plan to ask him to prom, do a trial run and see if he lives up to something of what I hope he is,” Lumine clarifies.

“Ooh okay, well I’m sure Childe will most definitely want to be your boyfriend,” Mona says. Then from beside them, a voice speaks, strained with anger.

“Please as if Childe will date some basic bish,” Zhongli says, glaring, interrupting their conversation.

“W-what- I” Lumine stammers, caught off guard by the sudden intrusion. Zhongli, football player, notorious note-taker in Ningguang’s class and…

“Childe’s ex,” Lumine thinks, the realization dawning upon her.

“I wouldn’t try anything, your limp blonde hair and basic face aren’t going to seduce anyone,” Zhongli adds, bitterly, towering over Lumine.

“I-”

“Zhongli shut the fuck up and leave,” Mona utters out, pushing Zhongli away. Lumine lets out a sigh of relief, grateful for her friend. “Just because you’re his ex, doesn’t mean you have to dictate his love life, move the hell on,” Mona adds, bringing salt to a wound as Zhongli scoffs, wincing and walking away furiously.

“God, the nerve of some people, and I thought he was cool,” Mona mutters.

“Oh my god, thank you,” Lumine says quickly, grabbing Mona’s arm and leaning her head against it, eternally thankful for Mona’s help.

“Oh no problem, besides Zhongli shouldn’t be the one determining who should ask out Childe,” Mona says, shaking her.

“Yeah, that’s was… odd” Lumine responds. She curled her fingers, Zhongli’s rude words getting into her head, thoughts popping up and around.

“He’s probably right, maybe we are basic”

“We’ll just get laughed at”

“He’s not going to like us, he might even just take us out as a pity date,” her mind said, echoing unhelpful and crippling thoughts into her.

“Lumine,” Mona says, grabbing Lumine’s shoulder, getting her attention. “Please, don’t take his words into consideration, you are an amazing person and you’re not basic,” Mona says, reassuring Lumine a bit.

“T-thanks Mona,” Lumine responds.

“No problem”