Chapter 9.2

“Alright what do I have to do today?” Amber exclaims, talking to herself as she power walks ferociously towards the school building. Whipping out her phone, she checks her list, looking over everything.

“Help Fischl with her bird, send the field trip review surveys to Jean, make sure that Albedo has his drama club funding, bake a cake for Xingqiu’s birthday,” Amber says, looking up and realizing she was already at the steps of the school.

With a deep inhale and exhale, she cools her nerves as she begins her list, preparing herself for the hectic day she’s going to have. And she hasn’t even mentioned her homework list yet.

She dashes into the school, running up the stairs two steps at a time for efficiency. She jumps through the door frame and immediately hears familiar raven noises. While she wasn’t asked to help Fischl with Oz, it's usually part of her routine every day so she’s expecting it now.

“OZ! come on, I need you,” Fischl cries out, speeding down the hallway. Amber’s middle school hallway monitor instincts wanted to cry out and yell no running, but she was about to break it as well, dashing down the hallway and following Fischl.

“I go right, you go left,” Amber commands, seeing the hallway ends and splits into two different directions. Fischl followed along, noticing the bird disperse into the crowds. When the hallway ended, they couldn’t find the bird and thus had to spill up. Amber, following her plan, went right while Fischl went left, both going off different directions to find Oz.

Amber sympathized with Fischl, understanding that she needed Oz by her side to help her feel comfortable at the school but sometimes she wished she didn’t bring the large raven.

She didn’t enjoy it being a part of her routine now, spending her mornings being sweaty and having raven feathers in her hair. It made her more self-conscious when she appeared gross in front of her crush, Lumine.

The thought of Lumine and her pretty gorgeous face made Amber’s heart race a bit, still running till she realized she was about to hit a wall. She stopped, having almost flung herself against the wall from how quick she braked herself. She let out a small breath of relief and then heard cawing noises.

Zipping her head, she sees the large raven on a water fountain, pecking at the push-down button for water while trying to drink the water itself. She giggles, amused at the animal’s failure to press the button down and drink water at the same time. Then she snaps out it, using the rare moment to grab some birdseed she packed, and puts a small amount of it on her shoulder.

Except for disaster strikes as she accidentally rips the bag open and the whole thing falls out, covering her and spilling onto the ground. She pales, seeing the blackbird sharply fly to her, head butting her dead on in the chest.

“WAA!” Amber cries out, feeling the wind knock of her lungs as falls to the ground, with the birdseed. Crying out, she tries to protect herself against the bird, covering her face and avoiding its sharp pecks as much as possible.

“Um, do you need help,” says a familiar soft voice. Amber froze, even with the bird trying to peck her to death. Using the moment of clarity, Amber quickly grabs Oz, holding down her wings with both of her hands, and stands up, her hair a mess and covered in bird seeds. She then flashes her brightest smile at Lumine, the pretty girl with the soft voice.

“I-I’m good, uh don’t worry Lumine,” Amber responds brightly, used to seeming alright when likely not. Oz kept fidgeting, making it hard to keep still but Amber persisted, refusing to look any more pathetic in front of her crush.

“Oh! okay, well um good luck, I’ll see you in class later then,” Lumine says softly, giving a small wave before heading off. Amber watches the girl leave intently, wishing she would stay for a little more, but she knew that she needed to get the bird back to Fischl. With a deep sigh, Amber shakes off the remaining birdseed off her legs and shoulder and trudges her way back to Fischl.

Finding Fischl down the hall, she gives the bird back, the two initiating their usual conversation.

“Hehe, Thanks Amber as always,” Fischl says, awkwardly laughing.

“No problem, my pleasure,” Amber responds as always, trying to not make it seem as big of a hassle as it is. Fischl nods and goes away, holding and restraining her bird. Amber lets out a deep sigh, grateful to have one thing off of her list.

Ahe turns around, heading to the locker room to change a little bit and try to clean herself up before the first class began. Then her phone vibrates, and she checks it, seeing it was a reminder for something.

“Begin Student Council reelection,” Amber reads. She immediately feels a giant weight crushing her, trudging along to the locker room as she mentally tries to plan it out, not feeling very excited for it.